[SOLVED] Creating the right Excel file

Get help with your data
Kasper Hviid
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Creating the right Excel file

Post by Kasper Hviid » 25 Jan 2011 22:01

This is more of a Excel-related question. But I need an answer from someone who knows about Excel/Gephi interaction.

I need to create a diagram showing people and their social connections, like in Les Miserales.gexf. If possible, there should be a text comment attached to each connection, and there should be different sorts of connections.

I want to collect the data in Excel, and then export it to Gephi later.

Is this possible to do this in Excel?

If it is possible, how should such an Excel table be designed, to be Gephi-compatible?

Regards,
Kasper

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sligtly offtopic: Creating the right Excel file

Post by admin » 26 Jan 2011 14:09

Hi,

Here are sample files that can be imported in Gephi (Data Lab > Import CSV) and Excel.
Attachments
karate club table edges.csv
(1.96KiB)Downloaded 7426 times
karate club table nodes.csv
(315Bytes)Downloaded 5814 times

Kasper Hviid

Post by Kasper Hviid » 26 Jan 2011 23:07

Thanks for the help - I understand it all a lot better now!

But I just figured out that there isn't much point in writing the data in Excel. It is better to use Gephi all the way. If I want the raw data, I can always export as .csv

One thing - what is the point of having the ability to add additional columns in the data lab? Can they be used in the actual diagram?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 26 Jan 2011 23:37

Yes you can add a new attribute and fill the rows by hand. It will be directly available for ranking or partitioning if possible.

Jarkko

Re: Creating the right Excel file

Post by Jarkko » 07 Oct 2011 08:43

Thanks for the examples, for me the best way to study new software!

Just installed Gephi (0.8beta) and tried to import your examples. What might be going on here with the edges import? http://screencast.com/t/wvBQZFJxa

-Jarkko

pbittner
Gephi Plugin Developer

Re: [SOLVED] Creating the right Excel file

Post by pbittner » 07 Jan 2012 09:31

These files use semicolons as separators. You need to select "Semicolon" instead of "Comma" on the Import Spreadsheet window.

TEXTWinder

Re: [NOT YET SOLVED] Creating the right Excel file

Post by TEXTWinder » 06 Aug 2012 02:00

All above works, that's fine. BUT, if you then save the Gephi file, it only allows it to be saved as a .Gephi file, not a .gexf file, and so the next time you go to open it, it returns the message that the file extension is incorrect. I even opened the Les Mis gexf file, changed a number of nodes and edges to see if I could do it that way, but when I closed it, it again asked me to save, but only offered the .Gephi extension. So, again, I couldn't do it. Bringing the csv in isn't much good, if you create a .gephi file that won't re-open.
What am I not getting?
Thanks for your help.

By the way, it would be good for Gephi-newbies if the tutorial pdf had some information about establishing the dataset. Thanks!

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 06 Aug 2012 10:13

To save spreadsheets, go to the Data Lab, then click on Export Table.

To save in other graph formats, click on the menu File > Export > Graph.

Aggwanji

Post by Aggwanji » 10 Dec 2012 20:42

Hi! I'm having trouble organizing my Excel data in a manner that can be imported into gephi and I keep getting the error message 'file cannot contain repeated column names'. My Excel files contains names of countries and their regional groupings and that is where the problem is, because several countries will fall under the same regional grouping. Please advise.

laurarolda

Post by laurarolda » 01 Feb 2013 15:07

Thank you for this.

I have a question though. What is "modularity class"?
Thanks again for your help.
admin wrote:Hi,

Here are sample files that can be imported in Gephi (Data Lab > Import CSV) and Excel.