Adding support for Neo4j in Gephi

GSoC developers forum
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Adding support for Neo4j in Gephi

Post by admin » 26 Mar 2010 12:06

This is the thread for asking more details about the Adding support for Neo4j in Gephi proposal.

Payne
Gephi Plugin Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Adding support for Neo4j in Gephi

Post by Payne » 06 Apr 2010 00:06

Hi Gephi guys,

i am now working on proposal on this project, but I want to ask one question, if I understand the idea of this project clearly.

The idea is not to create a transformation of Neo4j data file into some of supported Gephi data files, the idea is not to make a full representation of data from Neo4j data file in memory in terms of Gephi model and APIs, but the idea is to make a module, API or something that can query informations from Neo4j data file using appropriate Neo4j APIs on the fly (at runtime).

So I only need Gephi Graph and Attributes APIs.

Am I correct?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 06 Apr 2010 09:29

You are right: as Neo4j is executed on a server to store huge amount of data, the aim is to make Gephi able to query this graph database to get a sub-graph generated from a traversal code.

A second objective is be able to load partial graphs dynamically, i.e. by expanding a node.

Payne
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by Payne » 06 Apr 2010 11:31

Sorry for stupid question, but I don't know if I understand it clearly.

The second goal is to create a Gephi representation of part of Neo4j graph database? So manually creating Gephi nodes and edges from Neo4j, but only a part of whole graph?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 06 Apr 2010 11:52

Yes, because very few machines can handle 1M nodes and 4M edges on RAM.

I roughly see 2 use cases :
  • The user write the query in Gephi UI
  • The query is sent to a Neo4j server, which executes the traversal
  • The returned graph is returned to Gephi, which displays it.
  • Assume that a graph was previously loaded
  • The user right-click on a node, which causes Gephi to ask the Neo4j server to get the neighbors
  • The neighbor list {nodes, edges} are return and displayed in Gephi

arboks

Post by arboks » 25 Apr 2018 09:48

Hello there,

I come with few years delay but I feel very interested by this project. :)
Indeed, I'm currently searching a way to send a query to neo4j from gephi and get the query result then to display it.

It's exactly one of your use cases. Do you have new about this project. I would be very interested.

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 25 Apr 2018 09:58

Hi, not directly supported at the moment, but you can export to graphml with neo4j APOC

arboks

Post by arboks » 25 Apr 2018 11:54

Thanks for this surprising quick answer :D

Yes I already use apoc to stream query result from neo4j to gephi, but what I need now is a way to ask neo4j a query without using neo4j browser but using the gephi UI.

I search it since few days but I find nothing. Do you have any idea ?

Thanks for answers

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 25 Apr 2018 12:19

Yeah that's not possible easily, maybe you can do something with the Gephi scripting plugin and some custom code: https://github.com/gephi/gephi/wiki/Scripting-Plugin