Data Laboratory

GSoC developers forum
sumitd1234
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Data Laboratory

Post by sumitd1234 » 30 Mar 2010 21:01

Well, I think I am asking too many questions here :) . Please do comment about my previous question as well. I was reading about the Information Visualization in social network analysis and I realized that parallel co-ordinates will be a nice to have info-vis feature for data- laboratory in multidimensional cases like friends on Facebook API can have numerical attributes like
i) Number of wall posts made on their profile page
ii) Number of groups which the user has joined
iii)Number of photos in which the user has been tagged
iv)Total number of friends
or non-numerical attributes like
Country, Gender, Time-zones etc.
There are two ways to create parallel-coordinates either 2-D or 3-D parallel co-ordinates. I am also planning to include dynamic attributes view with sparklines and scatter-plots. So does having 3-D parallel co-ordinates as a proposed feature will fit into the timeline or would it be good enough to have just 2-D parallel co-ordinates. Of course I will enjoy adding 3-D too later if not in SoC period. I am a bit lost in exactly defining the timeline. I would appreciate if you can guide me the feasible set of features to propose for the SoC period.

Thanks in advance.

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by admin » 31 Mar 2010 10:40

Hi,

Use JFreeChart in priority, as it is already included in Gephi for Statistics reporting.

But before asking on details, please start by thinking on use cases, major hurdles of the proposals, and ways to get rid of them.

ragha

Post by ragha » 03 Apr 2010 09:44

Hi,

How about using clustering techniques for data visualization?
We could include clustering to create chunks of data based on its similarity. Kohonen maps could be used to visualize data in 2D maps.

I have experience with clustering techniques and would like to include this feature in Data Laboratory project.
Any thoughts in this regard?

Thanks,
Raghavendra

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 03 Apr 2010 11:03

Yes it could be interesting, but how long would it take on your planning? The program is short and the Data Laboratory roadmap is already well filled I think.

ragha

Post by ragha » 04 Apr 2010 00:27

I could definitely implement K-Means clustering as i already worked on it before..
Should take like a week or so to finalize that

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 11 Apr 2010 17:39

Would be interesting to check this package as well:
Mondrian Interactive Statistical Data Visualization in Java

sumitd1234

Post by sumitd1234 » 11 Apr 2010 18:08

Yes, I checked it out. It is nice :).

sumitd1234

Post by sumitd1234 » 13 Apr 2010 15:20

Hi,

I replied to the public review on GSoC interface. As I asked there I wanted to know that which type of UML diagram am I supposed to draw(class diagram or some other type). This is my first time with creating UML diagram :) .

ragha

Post by ragha » 18 Apr 2010 20:08

@mbastian:
Missing value plots looks interesting. It could approximate the missing value (numeric) based on regression. Sounds like a cool feature to have. What do you think?

I haven't tested it yet...but am working on it.

-Ragha