WebGL

GSoC developers forum
admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
WebGL

Post by admin » 22 Mar 2010 09:43

This is the thread for asking more details about the WebGL proposal.

fat0ss
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: WebGL

Post by fat0ss » 30 Mar 2010 15:21

AFAIU, this project is not related to original gephi project

in this we have to start a new project, by developing an efficient network visualization library for the web using WebGL. am I right ?

juliana

Post by juliana » 05 Apr 2010 05:02

Hi,

I understand that this project has been scrapped from the GSoC ideas list, but if there is any splinter of a chance that Gephi's accepting a proposal on this, I think I'd still try... (but please let me know if there's no point to do so)

Have a question though: how is the user expected to use this library? I get the impression that the user will be able to associate say, a gexf file, then use the library to define graphics attributes of node/edge, layout properties and preferred metrics calculations of the graph? So in this case the library means to abstract interaction from the user i.e. the library will provide a web-based display, but with API for the user to work with network properties -- is this the right understanding?

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 05 Apr 2010 18:08

Hi Juliana, I'm sorry to say that we will not go for this proposal. We have a limited number of 'slot' Google is giving to us, and also a limited number of mentors. We also believe WebGL is still a very young technology and waiting for better standard and support is relevant.

The proposal was not going so far and mostly concentrate on the visualization issues. However questions remains on the best way to provide an efficient network visualization platform on the web. For us we believe the first step is to let users have the same level of interaction Gephi can have on the desktop, but without the analysys platform. It's a bit what was done with the GexfExplorer project, which provide mostly read-only features, based on what GEXF file contains. I would also cite this project, http://cytoscapeweb.cytoscape.org/. It shows great effort to bring to the web complex features and consistency between desktop and web applications. But unfortunately it stuble on efficienty, try to load a 100 nodes graphs!

juliana

Post by juliana » 07 Apr 2010 16:33

Hi mbastian, thanks for the reply. Guess this isn't the best timing =( In any case, thanks for the heads up on GexfExplorer and Cytoscape. Perhaps next year will be a better time for Web Gephi!

keheliya
System Developer

Post by keheliya » 19 Mar 2011 02:30

Hi dev,

First of all congratulations for get selected on GSoC 2011 as a mentoring organization. I'm interested in the project idea 'Web based network visualization using WebGL'. As I understood, the objective of the project is to come up with an abstraction layer on top of an efficent library (i.e. PhiloGL) to layout large networks loaded as GEXF/JSON. I'm reading about PhiloGL & WebGL these days.
It's great to see a similar idea 'Use of Hardware Accelerated Techniques' in Javascript Infovis Toolkit (Sencha Labs) GSoC project ideas list too. May be Gephi & JIT can collaborate in GSOC 2011 to make this idea a reality (Just a thought :-)).
I would like to know whether this project's scope cover considering other alternatives like d3.js and processing.js too for visualizing large networks on the web. I would like to discuss more on this idea with you all in this forum & mailing list and come up with a good work plan for the summer.

joshua

Post by joshua » 19 Mar 2011 23:28

While trying to mess around with WebGL to get a feel for what it is I'm getting myself into it I found that Chrome doesn't have support enabled for WebGL enabled by default in Ubuntu. You can read more about getting WebGL set up here.

Buyer beware, I didn't actually use those instructions. Some Googling discovered you could enable WebGL in chrome with:

Code: Select all

google-chrome --enable-webgl
That didn't work, but some more Googling discovered that it had been added to a blacklist and you could get around that blacklist with:

Code: Select all

google-chrome --enable-webgl --ignore-gpu-blacklist
Hopefully this saves someone some time.

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 21 Mar 2011 04:54

May be Gephi & JIT can collaborate in GSOC 2011 to make this idea a reality
Yeah very good idea, I sent an email to the author. I'm happy they are doing GSoC as well, it's an excellent project !
I would like to know whether this project's scope cover considering other alternatives like d3.js and processing.js too for visualizing large networks on the web
We have considered this (see this topic), these librairies offer great features and flexibility but they are not performant enough for large graphs. The limits would be around 5000 nodes, and the experience limited, as zooming and panning speed would be reduced.

keheliya
System Developer

Post by keheliya » 24 Mar 2011 03:46

joshua wrote:While trying to mess around with WebGL to get a feel for what it is I'm getting myself into it I found that Chrome doesn't have support enabled for WebGL enabled by default in Ubuntu.
Thanks joshua. It was working in Chrome 9 but stopped working after an update to Chrome 10. Seems some graphic card drivers with OpenGL are heavily buggy. So engineers at Google and Mozilla have decided to blacklist certain models of graphic cards (ATI, Intel etc).
joshua wrote: That didn't work, but some more Googling discovered that it had been added to a blacklist and you could get around that blacklist with
You can find a blog post here I wrote about getting WebGL to work in Chrome 10+ and Firefox 4. Hope it'll be beneficial to many, who are having the same problem.

Neo---

Post by Neo--- » 28 Mar 2011 18:40

Since this idea was scrapped last year I would like to double check how the Gephi team views this idea as a GSOC project this year? I would hate to write a proposal for it only to later find it scrapped due to other priorities in the team ;)

Cheers,
Urban