[2009-2010] Present yourself!

GSoC developers forum
ragha
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Present yourself!

Post by ragha » 02 Apr 2010 05:20

Hi all,

My name is Raghavendra (you can just call me ragha). I am a computer science graduate at Missouri S&T.
I am interested to work on "Data Laboratory" project.

This project interests me as it involves:
- API design
- JAVA
- UI Design

I did a lot of projects using JAVA and swing. I also contributed to open source community. "JWriter" (https://jwriter.dev.java.net/) was one of my first contributions. I was involved in the UI and API design.

"JNeuralNet" (https://jneuralnet.dev.java.net/) is a project I started. This was one of the best development experience i've had so far. The excitement of starting a project on my own, learning to develop in a distributed environment, make design decisions...it was fun! I designed the framework from ground-up. I also tried to document it as extensively as possible. To get an overview of this project, i suggest you to see this: https://jneuralnet.dev.java.net/files/d ... ecture.doc. To demonstrate the power of this framework, i suggest you look at this: https://jneuralnet.dev.java.net/servlet ... erID=11351. It shows you how to create a weather prediction application using my framework in baout 5 minutes!!

I had a lousy sense of API design and had to learn it the hard way. I refined the architecture atleast 4 times. Currently, i use Netbeans RCP for the helper tool. This project is used in few universities (India) by professors (for teaching) and students (for research and application developement). That was of immense satisfaction to me.

JTestBot is one of my current open source projects (http://projectkenai.com/projects/jtestbot). It deals with automated GUI testing for mobiles. Inputs for a test case are recorded by monitoring mouse and keyboard actions. Output for a test can be verified by OCR (text comparison) or approximate image comparison. Please view the website for more information.

Back in my B.S days, we developed a few commercial applications (Payroll Management and School Management System). In due course, I learnt a lot about requirements analysis and the importance of software architecture. Having worked on projects from its inception, I have gained many skills, as well as an understanding of sophisticated trade off decisions involved in the project design.

Currently, I am a Research Assistant under Dr. Sriram Chellappan and Dr. Donald Wunsch in Missouri S&T, and have involved myself in an interesting project involving psychology and neural networks.

I am always on a lookout for interesting projects. I believe i have the right attitude and the skill to execute this project successfully. This project is my chance to apply my knowledge to an existing open source project. I am really excited to be able to contribute to a large open source project like gephi.

juliana
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by juliana » 04 Apr 2010 07:43

Hello and Happy Easter!

I am a Computer Science major (getting to final year the coming autumn) at the National University of Singapore, and am interested in the WebGL project of creating a web based network visualization API. It feels like the right summer project primarily because I would like to discover more of web-based graphics, having have a personal interest in graphics and been working with OpenGL for a good part of the past academic year in my undergraduate studies. Seems like it'd be a good introduction to network visualization too.

For two years I was intern (and then employee) at a Swedish company working on an open source multimodal and haptics API http://h3d.org. The API can be viewed in many paradigms, one of them is as a haptics enabled implementation of the X3D specification. Some of my main tasks as a developer included: implementing the Geospatial component to the API, implementing Rigid Body Physics component using the PhysX and ODE libraries, developing demos and user examples for the API, authoring wiki articles (including user tutorials at http://www.h3dapi.org/modules/mediawiki ... ith_H3DAPI), and support at the user forum. I found work with H3DAPI very fulfilling, especially when it is a (comparatively) small open source project that harbours good potential. It is the same experience that I hope to discover working with Gephi.

I note that the WebGL project will be using Javascript. My main language is C++, Java, and Python, but am pretty sure I can pick up Javascript in time for the project (had a one time fling once with Javascript while tinkering with Yahoo Widgets (now Konfabulator, I think) so guess will need to rekindle the romance).

I will be taking a closer look at the WebGL project today, and will most likely need some clarifications on it. Will be back at the forums for that. Til then!

/juliana

Gayana

Post by Gayana » 04 Apr 2010 20:20

Hi all,

I am Gayana, a final year Computer Science and Engineering Undergraduate in University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I went through several ideas proposed by Gephi and they were really interesting. As a guy who liked to work on innovation I hope this is the project I can contribute my best.

For the past several years I could work with different technologies and get a real good experience. I suppose the Graph Steaming API is the idea that I can contribute a lot because it contains lot of new tricky things to think and design.

I worked as an intern at a Norwegian company and there I worked with server applications like Sharepoint which is .NET based. Apart from that I have created lot of java programs and tested lot of algorithms. Hope to be a part of Gephi....

Regards,
Gayana.

xedin

Post by xedin » 06 Apr 2010 10:01

Hi,

My name is Pavel Yaskevich and I am Software in Information Technologies Student in Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radioelectronics in Minsk, Belarus. The focus of my course studies has been in the areas of algorithms, programming theory, programming languages and graphs and data structures. I am working as web developer for almost four years, currently interested mostly in Java, Clojure and Ruby. I have been working on few open source projects, such as Gremlin and Webling projects which could be found at Github (http://github.com/tinkerpop). I would like to work under "Adding support for Neo4j in Gephi" issue.

Regards, Pavel.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 06 Apr 2010 12:02

Hi everyone,

I remind you to write your application by following the guidelines "Writing you application": http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74

ionut87

Post by ionut87 » 07 Apr 2010 18:44

Hello,

My name is Ionut Ignatescu and I am from Iasi,Romania. Currently, I follow Master studies (Software Engineering) at "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" University of Iasi, Department of Computer Science.
I'm greatly interested in collaborate in a open source project this year at GSOC competition and the Gephi project really caught my attention because I used Gephi to develop a web project about social networks. Gephi help me to extract and manipulate information about users.
I consider that I have sufficient experience in working with Java, databases and xml files. During the faculty I took part at some competition (Imagine Cup, other local competition ) that helped me to improve my skills. Also, I have a collaboration with a company that develop VOIP software using Java technologies (J2EE and J2SE). There I learned how to design, how to organize and how to develop a project that is greater than a homework and that have more than one modules.
My ambition of being a successful person in my future career as a software engineer first, and then as a software architect, determines me to work hard for my goals and gives me the power to make sacrifices. That is why I strongly believe that taking part at GSoC and developing a project is an important step in my professional life.
My first goal for this summer is to participate at GSoC and successfully develop a project. After that I dream to visit Switzerland.
The Gephi project that attract me the most are Dynamic attributes and statistics and Data Laboratory. The first one is interesting because it permit me to develop a new release of Gephi. The second one means a lot of work and a lot of code which is wonderful. If it will be to develop this project, I will ask to develop GUI in SWT. I have strong experience in using SWT and using it, it is possible to develop user interface much more attractive than Swing UI.
In my opinion, it should be mandatory to follow an internship in a software company during the master studies because it offers the guaranty that people who followed it had the opportunity to practice what he had studied in the faculty. If I were to be one of the chosen to take part at GSoC I would like to mention that I would prefer working at a new project, which could give me the satisfaction of creating something tangible. But this is not something I could not deal without, the simple fact of working at GSoC would be
a great chance of gaining some experience that I could never achieve through theoretical study.

luish

Post by luish » 08 Apr 2010 04:26

hello everyone,

My name is Luis Herrera and I am from NJ. I am currently an undergraduate working towards obtaining a degree in Interactive Multimedia and a minor in computer science. What caught my attention to Gephi is how nicely done the visualizations are. I have experience working with Processing (love it) and I have seen what can be done with the software. I am interested in working with the Force directed-Edge bundling, Graph streaming API and the Data Laboratory. I also have some ideas that could really simplify things so that the user can manage the network more efficiently. I am not a seasoned programmer as I have started programming several months ago, but I am confident that I will learn because I am interested in it. Look forward to hearing from you guys

Payne
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by Payne » 08 Apr 2010 07:15

Hello Gephi community!!!

I would like to introduce myself a little bit. My name is Martin Skurla, I am a student in 4th year of master degree in Technical University of Kosice in Slovakia. I study informatics (computer science). I am really interested in NetBeans and all stuff around this platform and IDE, so that's why I want to participate in Gephi project. I am very exiting about Gephi as a project because I have never seen such kind of nice visualization project which is open source.

I think I have many experiences with programming in Java, I am SCJP 6 (Sun Certified Java Programmer), between 14.3.2010 and 27.3.2010 I was a team leader in Finland on one IP Erasmus project which we called "Enterprise Integration" (the first part was about creation of Web Services and mainly part was about interconnection of Web Services through ESB using BPEL). Project as a whole was implemented in Java and XML Technologies. I have been working with Java for 3 years. I know Java SE (general Java programming, OOP, RMI, XML processing, Reflection), Swing, Java EE (Servlets, JSP, EJB, WS, OpenESB, GWT, JPA), Spring, XML Technologies (XML, DTD, XML Schema, XPath, XSLT).

My Bachelor Thesis vas called "Common Abstraction of System Configuration through XML Documents and Annotations". In this thesis I tried to merge 2 possible kinds of system configuration in Java: XML documents and Java annotations. This was more abstract programming and I created an object model of XML and added data from Annotations to this model. I was using Reflection very intensively (dynamic class loading, dynamic creation of objects and dynamic method invocation, annotation processing). All the work was done in NetBeans, some parts are automated with Ant build tool.

My experience with programming is mainly about Java. Few years abo I was programming in C. I have implemented a game very similar to look and functionality to Minesweeper, distributed application which could share and download data from connected computers, some information systems implemented in Java SE or Java EE (GWT in presentation layer), I created a Java parser with LEX and YACC (which translated source codes directly into bytecode instructions).

From my point of view, project proposal that really fits to me is "Adding support for Neo4j in Gephi". I'm really interested in this project because I red a lot about Neo4j and I think bringing some interoperability into Gephi project is great idea.

Actually I have no other plans for summer, so I plan to fully concentrate on this project.

I posted a proposal on google site :)

Regards,
Martin Skurla

Cristina Grigoruta

Post by Cristina Grigoruta » 08 Apr 2010 21:19

Hi,

I am currently in my first year of a four year MEng degree course in Computer Science at Imperial College London. My interest in this field dates back to high school, when I started learning Java and C/C++ by myself. Althouth the first year of college helped me expand my programming skills, I still feel that the considerably small lab exercises of my course lack the experience of working with large scale software. This is why I have been trying to get involved in different projects that allowed me to enhance my academic experience through a practical approach.

I found out about Gephi while I was working for a research project which dealt with Intelligent Systems and Networks. I was looking for a program to help me create, manipulate and analyze specific social networks and I was quite surprised to find out that, altough very useful when it came to static networks, Gephi did not handle dynamic changes. I would be really excited to contribute to your idea on Dynamic Attributes and Statistics and I am confident that I am capable of doing a good job.
It goes without saying that I would be pleased to be involved in Gephi for a longer period of time

Best Wishes,
Cristina

cristianregep

Post by cristianregep » 08 Apr 2010 22:22

Hey everybody,

My name is Cristian Regep (Chris) and I’m a first year Informatics student at the University of Edinburgh. My degree is a Bachelor of Engineering in Software Engineering with Management. Before pointing the finger that I’m a first year student I want to add that I have already done two years of a Computer Science with Electronics degree at the “Politehnica” University of Timisoara, Romania and I have worked during that time for local Web development company Timsoft.

Unfortunately I only found out about Gephi through the Google Summer of Code program. I say unfortunately because from what I’ve seen it has useful and interesting applications in what I’m interested in, and it took the Summer of Code to find about it. I said above that after 2 years of studying Computer Science & Electronics I chose to start off again at The University of Edinburgh because I wanted to focus more on Software, Data and Information, and from what I see Gephi is an extremely powerful tool for visualizing and manipulating data & information, which eases the process of study.
I would really enjoy the opportunity to work on this project and I want to start off by implementing the Direct Social Network Import project.

My programming experience is based around PHP & MySQL which I gained at Timsoft while developing Romanian microblogging platform http://www.cirip.ro , a Romanian version of Twitter. I also created a Adobe Flash application which shows connections between users and the last messages sent between them in a node-edge manner. This is where my interest comes into the Direct Social Network Import project, which is very similar in many ways.

I also have extensive Java experience. During the last 2 years I developed in partnership with my former high school, “William Shakespeare” of Timisoara, a system through which teachers can digitally store student grades. I created a program which prints out A5 forms for teacher to write in. After the teachers fills in the grades they are read by a scanner an sent to a ftp. Another program reads the scans from the ftp and stores the read grades in a database. Parents can then see their children’s grades from the comfort of their own home through the school’s website. The whole system was done in Java and is used in my former high school successfully.

I’m looking forward to join this community!

Kind Regards,

Cristian Regep