[2013] Present yourself!

GSoC developers forum
admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[2013] Present yourself!

Post by admin » 08 Apr 2013 20:10

New students, please present yourself here!

afropowa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [2013] Present yourself!

Post by afropowa » 10 Apr 2013 23:11

Hi there,

I am Şükrü BEZEN, MSc student in Computer Engineering on the topic of Recommendation Systems at Middle East Technical University. I live in Ankara, TURKEY

I am also a regular Coursera student and in November 2012 I took "Social Network Analysis" course from Lada Adamic and entered this SNA world.
In that course I used Gephi to analyze various datasets and find meaningful results.

For the last 7 months I am working as a data scientist and I am using Neo4j graph database. When I need to visualize or analyze the graph database, I am simply using Gephi and its Neo4j plugin.

I am planning to contribute to Gephi this summer, since it provided me all those cool features so far and I think it is my turn now.

Best regards,

annaalkh

Post by annaalkh » 11 Apr 2013 09:42

Hi,
I’m glad to see Gephi in the list of accepted organizations, and I would like to work for Gephi this summer. My name is Anna Kharitonova, I’m a 4th year student of Business Informatics department in Higher School of Economics in Russia. I heard about Gephi in Coursera online course “Social Network Analysis” last autumn and it really impressed me, so now I’m using it very actively in my research work. Also I started to study Gephi code in order to understand it and then contribute. My research work is related to social network analysis and data mining, such as clustering and classification, so I would like to bring some data mining functionality to Gephi. Is it a suitable idea or I should choose something other?
Best regards,
Anna (annaalkh@yandex.ru)

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 11 Apr 2013 10:24

Hi Anna, what kind of data mining features would you like to add?

Currently we would mostly need unit tests for our implemented statistical algorithms.

annaalkh

Post by annaalkh » 11 Apr 2013 13:49

Data mining is still common idea, maybe something related to classification nodes and reconstruction missing attribute values, or implementation some clustering algorithms. On the other hand, it is more important for me to do something really nesessary for community, so unit testing also sounds great. I am familiar enough with unit tests in Java, so I'll think about such idea!

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 12 Apr 2013 07:59

Excellent! We proposed the idea last year but found no student to go on this.

This would be a real help as we are not good at all on testing statistical algorithms - partly my fault.

An acceptable approach is to take some tests of the NetworkX package, because they test every algorithm:
http://networkx.github.io/

joshedgcomb

Post by joshedgcomb » 16 Apr 2013 02:04

Hi,

I'm Josh. I'm a student at Pomona College in Claremont, California. I've learned a bit about graph theory in a few of my math courses and found it very interesting. I'm interested in working on the GraphStore benchmark and tuning project suggested on the wiki. On that page, there's a link to an in-progress graphdb benchmarking tool, but I'm not entirely clear on whether that's being designed specifically to work with Gephi, or if it's just an example of the kind of thing you would like implemented. If you could let me know that, as well as some places you would suggest to read about relevant information, that would be much appreciated.

Additionally, are there any other projects or features you would like to see implemented that aren't listed on the GSoC wiki, whether it be because they just haven't been put up there or because the scope of the project doesn't seem right for GSoC? I'd be interested to hear about some things that the community would like implemented, and see if I can't put together a proposal to make something cool.

Thanks,

Josh

niteshbhargv

Post by niteshbhargv » 16 Apr 2013 11:44

Hello,

My name is Nitesh Bhargava and I am a graduate student pursuing M. Tech. (Computer science and engineering) at IIT Madras, India.
Major Field of my Research is analysis of the complexity of algorithms, it involves a study of randomized “divide and conquer” algorithms that is used to solve recurring problems based on minimization and maximization and combinational analysis of running time of these algorithms.

“Extracting core member of Social Network communities”
(https://github.com/niteshbhargv/gephi) which I developed on Gephi last year, I implemented my algorithm under modularity class under statistics plugin, it finds a center node of every cluster within certain threshold specified (alpha and beta values), the detailed documentation and Gephi toolkit were a great help. It also generates the analysis report indicating the modularity of each cluster and core member of each community (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4HTqd4 ... sp=sharing ).

I’m fond of data analysis, and I often do some data grabbing/analysis during my free time. Along the way, Gephi has been by far the most insightful software I used for (exploratory) data analysis and visualization. As Gephi fits perfectly my fields of interest, I would be more than happy to work for this particular open source project.

The application field of Gephi is highly related to my research field, so it would represent a great contribution to both my research and the open source community.
I am very excited to join Gephi community. :)

Nitesh Bhargava
nitesh.bhargv@gmail.com

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 16 Apr 2013 16:18

joshedgcomb wrote: On that page, there's a link to an in-progress graphdb benchmarking tool, but I'm not entirely clear on whether that's being designed specifically to work with Gephi, or if it's just an example of the kind of thing you would like implemented. If you could let me know that, as well as some places you would suggest to read about relevant information, that would be much appreciated.
It's just an example. I tried to find some good references but most of the existing benchmarks focus on traversals for graph database. Some new links however
* http://ups.savba.sk/~marek/papers/gdm12-ciglan.pdf
* https://github.com/tinkerpop/blueprints ... Test-Suite (not a benchmark)

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 16 Apr 2013 16:29

Notice that benchmark is also a hot topic for graph databases:
http://blog.neo4j.org/2013/02/the-state ... -2013.html
http://www.ldbc.eu/