[2013] Present yourself!

GSoC developers forum
mrahma01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: [2013] Present yourself!

Post by mrahma01 » 19 Apr 2013 21:31

Hi,

I am a user of Gephi and wanna contribute to it by participating in GSoC 2013.
As a 3rd year Ph.D student interested in Social Network Analytic at Syracuse University,
I believe Gephi would be more adopted by the research community working in this area
if we can further enhance it by implementing several clustering algorithms and graph search mechanisms.

I took Data Mining, Statistics, Social Media Mining and Software Model and Metrics courses and used NetworkX before.
I found some popular functionality of that python package are missing in Gephi and can be implemented in Java.
As a Teaching Assistant of programming language course, I teach Java and comfortable with Eclipse and NetBeans.
I checked out developer's code for Gephi from Git and after successfully building it, now trying to fix some reported bugs.

As a Graduate Student I have several publications where I tried using Gephi and found it not very supportive in following:
detection of triangle counts, K mean clusterings, Pearson's correlation and Euclidean Distance related computations --
which are some high demanding methods from Social Network Science research community.
I think Gephi is a very good tool for graph visualization, and augmentation of more effective feature would make it more adorable.

Before joining academia, I was a SQA in a US outsource software company and have few years experience in white box testing
So I can also contribute testing the existing statistical modules, metrics and algorithms.
I am not sure whoever should I communicate for a potential mentor,
but I was looking into some work of Julian Bilcke and Patrick McSweeny seems very interesting!

Mahmuda

prateek_garg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by prateek_garg » 21 Apr 2013 20:24

Respected Sir,

I am Prateek Garg , 3rd year Engineering B.Tech Student of IIT-Delhi. I am interested in data structures and graph theory. I would like to work with Gephi in GSoC-2013 on the idea "GraphStore benchmark and tuning". Although I am a novice in Benchmarking and testing , but I am good at Java and algorithm designing part. Plus I can quickly learn up new things. So kindly guide me how i can go on this topic further.

Also, Is there any other Idea that might be useful to the community.

Regards

Prateek Garg
3rd yr Undergrad B.tech.
IIT-Delhi

edubecks

Post by edubecks » 21 Apr 2013 20:57

Hi,

My name is Eduardo Espinoza and I'm currently a Computer Science master's student at University of Sao Paulo (USP) - Brazil. I'm glad Gephi was accepted in the Summer of Code again. Last year, I helped developing the Legend Module for Gephi for the GSoC program. There's still some work that needs to be done.

I have also made some other contributions to the open source community. I work at the laboratory of Information Visualization and Computer Graphics (VICG) and we developed the Projection Explorer (PEx) tool (http://infoserver.lcad.icmc.usp.br/infovis2/PEx). All of the tools we developed at the research group are coded using Java and Swing, but I also have experience with C++ and Python. Graph problems, algorithm design and information visualization have become my favorite topics, the first two come from the experience I had in programming contests, and the last one from studying and developing visualization techniques.

I'm interested in finishing the development of the Legend Module, a feature that would be greatly appreciated by the gephi community.

Regards
Eduardo
edubecks007 at gmail dot com

amitdas942

Post by amitdas942 » 28 Apr 2013 17:41

Hello,
My name is amit das,currently pursuing B.tech in computer science & engineering(4th yr) from india, am also a freelance web developer.

My two main motive is :

# I'm currently working in a project for developing a social network website,in that i wanted to implement gephi's visualization to find recommendations,suggestions,friend group page suggestion,and other related user interactions.

# I want to implement apriori & FP-tree algorithm of data mining into gephi and make a layout to find clusters,a filter to implement apriori's support & confidence count.

Koheiru

Post by Koheiru » 29 Apr 2013 12:24

Hi,

I am Prostov Yury, graduate student at Moscow Aviation Institute and living in Moscow, Russia. Before joining academia, I was a C++/Qt programmer in "Intelligent Security Systems". Main field of my research associated with active (dynamic) artificial neural networks. Therefore I took "Social Network Analysis" course to better understand some processes in my network model. I heard about Gephi in that course and found that Gephi is very convenient for visual observation of dynamic networks. In my research I use MATLAB for generate dynamic network and then export it into Gephi.

Because I often use "timeline" and "export" functions, I have two ideas:
- improvement timeline-component (ideas like in thread https://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1012, but without video export; and I think that there is need timestamp playback... or maybe simulation of this playback).
- improvement or replace Gephi StreamingAPI because it allow only to receive/send graphs in "on-line", but, for example, I can not export entire dynamic graph from MATLAB directly by http-connection and must generate temporary gexf-file (very time and memory costly process).
If community will accept this ideas I can make more detailed plan...

So, I'm interested to implement my ideas or just help community in some other projects :)

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 02 May 2013 14:50

Folks,

Don't forget to submit your proposal on https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc ... e/gsoc2013 otherwise you won't be able to enter the selection process!