[2012] Present yourself!

GSoC developers forum
admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[2012] Present yourself!

Post by admin » 19 Mar 2012 09:44

New students, please present yourself here!

megaterik
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [2012] Present yourself!

Post by megaterik » 21 Mar 2012 18:11

Hello,

My name is Taras Klaskovsky and I'm Computer Science student from Belarusian State University.

I had heard about gephi about year ago, reading articles about graph visualization, and found gephi website and repository shortly after, crawling gsoc participants. I have made few plugins, commits and bug reports since then.

I have good algorithmic background and olympiads experience, achived third place at the Belarusian Olympiad in Informatics for high school students 2011 and place in the third hundred in last Google Code Jam.

I am very interested in Force Directed Edge Bundling proposal, because of the awesome looking result and algorithmic nature of this idea. I believe that gephi would benefit a lot from this feature. Flexible Table Importer is also an interesting idea to implement.

cheers,
Taras

ioana.croitoru

Post by ioana.croitoru » 21 Mar 2012 22:22

Hi,
I am Ioana Croitoru, a 2nd year student at Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Computer Science Department. I would like to participate at GSoC 2012 this being my first attempt at GSoC.
I would be interested in creating a Java application for Gephi. After looking on the idea page I think the most suitable applications for me would be :Legend module, Flexible Table Importer or Force Directed Edge Bundling.
I can say that I am quite familiar with Java and Swing. I have developed some small projects and now I am developing a team project based on the Ants game from AIChallange for school purpose. I have also worked with Git, especially with EGit.
Moreover, I would like to mention that I am quite experienced in working with data structures, mostly with Graphs.
I strongly consider that apart from the programming skills we should have, there are some other important qualities such as ambition and determination.Although I am a 2nd year student I am open to this kind of projects, which could enrich my professional experience in this field.
I would also be pleased to take part in Gephi's future projects after GSoC ends.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Ioana Croitoru (ioana.croi@gmail.com)

hemant_gangolia

Post by hemant_gangolia » 23 Mar 2012 08:46

Hi,

I am Hemant Gangolia and I'm a 3rd year Computer Science undergraduate at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India. Also, I am doing a minor in Statistics. I would to like to participate in GSOC 2012.

I would like to work with Gephi. I am most comfortable in Java and C++. From the project ideas page of Gephi, I am interested in : Legend Module, Flexible Table Importer and Statistics Reports and HTML5 Charts.

I have done most of my projects in Java. These include my course projects in Artificial Intelligence, Data Structures, Databases. Also, I am interested in Data mining and processing and its visualization.

Hoping to hear from you,
Hemant
(hemant.gangolia@gmail.com)

lavakeshpandey

Post by lavakeshpandey » 24 Mar 2012 10:09

Hi,
I am Lavakesh Pandey, final year student of Computer Science and Engineering. My skill sets are C, C++ & Core Java. As I see on this page a lot of people are very experienced and that is quite intimidating to me. So can anyone guide me how should I start. Maybe I don't have that much of development experience but I can learn things quickly as I'm quick learner and hard worker.

I have chosen one project according to my skill set which is as follows:
1. Force Directed Edge Bundling : I chose this project because I see it's got more resources to learn. Since I'm brand new to open source development I would always prefer small and easy project to work on but there are no easy projects listed so I chose medium level difficulty project.

I would appreciate if anyone suggest me some books related to this project. I mean whatever things are necessary I can learn quickly and beforehand so that mentors don't have to worry about. Kindly guide me as soon as possible I very eager to work on this project. While guiding consider me a newbie in this field.

Cheers
Lavakesh(pandeylavakesh@gmail.com)

wumalbert

Post by wumalbert » 24 Mar 2012 17:33

Hi,

I'm Min WU, a master student in the Department of Computer Science and Technology in Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. Currently, I study in the institute of Computer Graphics and Computer Aid Design, and this is my first year in it. Several days ago, I heard of GSOC from a friend for the first time, and found it a quite good way to participate into open-source organizations, making contributions and growing with them.

Since I'm majored in visualization, I get excited when coming across Gephi in GSOC 2012. Gephi provides an interactive visualization for networks and complex systems, which is quite attractive and powerful to analyze this information society. Before then, I have do some work in the information visualization field, including parallel coordinates, scatter plots and theme rivers. I find it interested for presenting information to people through a particular and intuitive way. Right now, I'm involved in a scientific visualization project in our lab, which requires OpenGL and GLSL technology. Thus, I want to work in Gephi, I think it is a good chance to learn and practice visualization technology, what's more, it will be a quite good open-source experience. Among the ideas in the idea page, I prefer Graph Streaming and Force Directed Edge Bundling. I think these two are challenging and exciting. By the way, Gephi is the unique plan in my application of GSOC 2012.

Last to say, I'm familiar with C, C++ and Java programming language, also be good at OpenGL, GLSL and Qt toolkit.

I wish to work in Gephi, Thank you!

Best regards!
Min WU(wumalbert@gmail.com)

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 26 Mar 2012 00:25

I would appreciate if anyone suggest me some books related to this project. I mean whatever things are necessary I can learn quickly and beforehand so that mentors don't have to worry about. Kindly guide me as soon as possible I very eager to work on this project. While guiding consider me a newbie in this field.
Checkout the Programming section here.

vikash23

Post by vikash23 » 26 Mar 2012 17:49

Hello,

I am Vikash Anand, a third year computer science student from Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal, India and I am really excited about GSoC this year. I would like to work for Gephi this year as I have found some interesting projects that suits my skill sets.

I was introduced to the open source community in my first semester and since then I have been using Linux based OS and other open source software. As of now, I have not contributed greatly to any of the open source organization but this time I am determined to do so and I feel GSoC provides the best platform to contribute to an open source organization. I have also been an active member of Linux Users Group in our college since my first semester.

I have three year of programming experience in C, C++, Java and worked on several college projects basically based on Java and Swings. I am also interested about web technologies and have served the web development team for some of the websites in my college.

Regards,
Vikash Anand (vikashanand.mit@gmail.com)
IRC Nick : vikash23

srikant.ritolia

Post by srikant.ritolia » 29 Mar 2012 10:19

Hi
I am Srikant Ritolia, a third year Computer Science Student of Manipal Institute Of Technology, Manipal, India who is enthusiastic about Open Source. I got to know about FOSS from LUG (Linux User Group) seniors in my first year. Since then I have been involved in open source. I have conducted workshop in my college on Linux Install Fest , Android. My skillset are C/C++, Java and Android.

I have done projects in Java and Android. The most notable one would be Boomerang an Android project in which I made a uploader to upload image and status to different social networking sites using gestures.

I would love to work for Gephi as Gephi deals with visualizing and analysing graph, which is area of my interest. I took Graph Theory as my elective among all the other elective for this reason only. I am interested in the idea of Legend Module. I think legends are one of the important features which must be there with every graph for its better understanding and would love to implement this.

Regards
Srikant Ritolia
Email id - srikant.ritolia@gmail.com
IRC Nick - sritolia

LeoLin

Post by LeoLin » 29 Mar 2012 18:23

Hi, everyone

I am Leo Lin, a senior student at National Taiwan University, Taiwan, my major is computer science and information engineering and I study data mining. I had worked on data visualization last summer, so I think it will be a good topic to pick up in GSoC this year. Gephi is a very fancy and useful tool, so I would like join the group and have some contribution on it.

My experience on data visualization is tracing part of jung2, nodexl, re-implement forced direct part and draw the chart via processing (javascript version). The proposals I have interests in are Cloud Gephi, Statistics Reports and HTML5 Charts and Force Directed Edge Bundling. Statistics Reports and HTML5 Charts is a little be like what I have done before, so I am interesting in getting more detail parts of it.

I am quite familiar with Java/C++/Javascript and a little bit Ruby programming, Qt and processing are two mainly GUI I usually use for showing my projects, for example I used processing to show our result in a news threading system, and I also konw framework like JNI and Seam.

I really wish to get a chance to work in Gephi project and get more experience in open source development!!

Regards, Leo Lin
Email: mummy5678@gmail.com