[2012] Present yourself!

GSoC developers forum
colinlaney
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: [2012] Present yourself!

Post by colinlaney » 06 Apr 2012 13:34

My name is Arseniy, I am a PhD student in cognitive neuroscience. In the last years system biology has begun to use general language of network science to understanding abilities of our brains as complex systems. Despite the progress of theoretical background in the field, tools for networks exploring has no advanced statistics visualization to observe evolution of network metrics in real-time.

I heared about Gephi in the last year from Sune Lehmann's blog while examining algorithm of link communities detection developed by him and his coallegues. Since that time I started using the tool for visualizing biological networks particularly neural systems. Before I met Gephi, during communities visualization I turned my attention from Flare to D3 (through Protovis) guided by growth of ideas of Jeffrey Heer. I regret about disappearing of metaballs plugin out of Gephi (it was the most insightful tool for discovering interrelations in network) and am missing for new Preview API.

A few days ago I've begun bug fixing dated to GSoC and reilized that it is a feasible task for me despite I have never dealt with Java. It seems such simpleness was caused by my background experience in C++, python, R, and ECMAScript dialects and my predisposition to reverse engineering. I learned these languages to translate network science achievements such that communities detection into visual and algorithmic implementations.

I brought to the open-source development community because my belief in the transparency of information in contemporary science. It is not possible (or possible but too slowly) to make genuine breakthrough in understanding of our nature without shared and clear links between data and our experience, our experience and our theories, driven by the data.

anurag.kota
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by anurag.kota » 06 Apr 2012 16:00

Hi I am Anurag Jain. I am doing B-Tech from IIIT-ALLAHABAD(India).

I am good in making web based application. I have done 2 project which is using data mining.

currently i am working on "Collective Behavior prediction of user on basis of information revelation on online Social Networking".

This is my first try in gsoc.

language known:
basic knowloedge of c/c++
php, plsql

toolbox used: matlab

operating system used:

windows xp, windows 7, ubuntu 11.10, fedora 11, centos.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 11 Apr 2012 13:04

Thank you all for your applications! We start to review them through https://google-melange.com
Mentors will come back at you to discuss and improve them with you.