Additional work during the evaluation

GSoC developers forum
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Payne
Gephi Plugin Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Additional work during the evaluation

Post by Payne » 10 Apr 2010 08:53

Hello Gephi guys,

I just want to ask if there is any place where can I be useful during the evaluation of student proposals. I found thread "Quick Start Tutorial - Review needed". Is there anything else where can I help? Maybe it is not a bad idea to try to solve some bugs, but I'm not very familiar with the whole Gephi code base (only Attributes and Graph API).

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Additional work during the evaluation

Post by admin » 11 Apr 2010 11:59

Hi,

Feel free to do what you want, trying to fix some bugs is indeed a good idea as your can take the time to explore the source code, it's always useful.

We also lack some documentation, but it's more difficult to write...maybe you can create the Generator HowTo, like the Layout one, by looking at the Hello World plugin.

Every help is really appreciated! :)

EDIT: you may also try to find new bugs and report them on Launchpad.

Payne
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by Payne » 16 Apr 2010 18:06

As a reply to my proposal, Mathieu mentioned possible adding of new types in Attribute API. So I designed and implemented a proposal of adding new types (especially array types). I wrote document describing ideas, design and after the fight with generics :) also implementation is done.

You can comment if anything is not suitable.

Adding support for new types in Attributes API document v. 2 upload1
Adding support for new types in Attributes API document v. 2 upload2

Demonstration NetBeans project upload1
Demonstration NetBeans project upload2
Last edited by Payne on 18 Apr 2010 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 16 Apr 2010 21:52

Impressive work Martin, I've literally nothing to say about the design and the implementation. You also made a nice document summing up everything, that's really neat.

There is just one more class to modify to integrate your work. Check org.gephi.data.attributes.model.DataIndex in AttributesImpl module. That is where values references belongs. The structure is responsible of returning a unique reference for all equal values. In that way there is for isntance only a single new Float(1f) reference. It's also here that we could implement one day a reverse index... Modifiying htis class will just take a minute.

I advise you to create your own branch on Launchpad, named attributes-changes for example... Some doc here and lot more on the web how to create your own branch with bazaar.

great job!

Payne
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by Payne » 17 Apr 2010 00:03

Thanks,

I am really happy that you like the work, because write such kind of technical document is not very easy. I will add implementation in the class you mentioned, update the document and create a new branch.

The second think I am working on is indexing, as we were discussing on IRC. I am working on proposal and I want to create similar document. I want to summarize some ideas how indexing is done in similar projects, because we can catch some good design and ideas. Anyway, planned proposal will take longer time, because I have now a lot of work in school and I want to make some cooperation with Data Laboratory, which is one of the main reasons why we are thinking about indexing I think.

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 17 Apr 2010 10:12

Great, I've created a page for this work on the wiki: New Attribute Types & Arrays on the newly created Dev Portal. You can transfer some of the content of your PDF proposal there if you like.

I also made a specification page for the Attributes Indexation & QuickSearch.

Payne
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by Payne » 18 Apr 2010 07:45

Document is updated but I have some problems with creating new branch. As soon as I solve it, source codes will be accessible through new branch.