[2011] Present yourself!

GSoC developers forum
binarycrayon
Gephi Core Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: [2011] Present yourself!

Post by binarycrayon » 06 Apr 2011 16:23

Dear Gephi group,

My name is Yudi Xue and am a second year M.Sc student in Computer Science at University of Saskatchewan in Canada. I am currently affiliated with the Interaction lab, at which we focus on research in the field of Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Affective Gaming and Computer Supported Collaborative Workspace (CSCW).

The goal of my master's thesis is to investigate, build and evaluate a software system for collaborative simulation modeling. This led me to research in designing workspace for scientific collaboration, and integrating graph-based data visualization into the workspace. As part of my thesis project, I have also designed and implemented a component- based desktop system which has applied several J2EE server technologies including transactional management and pooled database connection. My knowledge in relevant area may become useful in building and optimizing visualization toolkit in the Gephi project.

Aside from work, I stay active snowboarding and playing basketball. I also enjoy traveling and backpacking during holidays.

I am eager to contribute to the Gephi project as a GSoC student in the summer. I would be happy to be engaged as a full-time participator and to discuss further detail in how I can accomplish this.

Regards,
Yudi
admin wrote:Hi students,

Welcome to Gephi GSoC program! I hope you're motivated to work on cutting edge technology for Network Science and graph visualization. Last year was really hard for us to select the best of you for only 4 slots allowed by Google. Hence to help us identifying you as a valuable candidate, please present yourself on this thread, then fill in this questionnaire and return it by email in plain text to gsoc@gephi.org.

This summer will be hot ! :mrgreen:

Deadline is April 8 (see the Timeline)

hassan1990
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by hassan1990 » 07 Apr 2011 02:04

Hello everyone,

My name is Hassan Radi. I am a 3rd year student at Computer Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt. Since my first year at college, I was dreaming to become part of the open source community. I managed to achieve that ambition: I now have two open source projects hosted on SourceForge.net, JPDF Export and JPDF Tools.

I have been coding with Java for almost three years so far. I have implemented many applications and almost worked with most of the API. I am planning to acquire the Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer certificate during this year. I have also participated in programming contests such as: Code Jam, Top Coder and IEEE Extreme.

I first heared about Gephi this year while i was searching for projects in GSoC. I was very happy when I knew that Gephi has the two things that I like most, Java and Graphics.

BTW, this is my first year to participate in GSoC and I have only applied for Gephi project; so, fingers crossed.

Best Regards,

Hassan

TSWaugh

Post by TSWaugh » 07 Apr 2011 06:27

Hello,

My name is Tyler Waugh, I am a 2nd year Computer Science and Mathematics double major at North Carolina State University. This is my first year participating in the Summer of Code, I've been looking for a way to jump into more structured and larger coding projects. I learned about Gephi while looking for projects to apply to. It caught my eye because of Java, the language I'm most familiar with, and it peaked my interest in graph theory and visualizations.

Best reguards,
TSW

dudaspm

Post by dudaspm » 07 Apr 2011 19:54

Hi everybody!

My name is Patrick Dudas and I’m a 2nd year doctoral student at the University of Pittsburgh, where I received my master’s degree as well. I have an undergraduate degree from Westminster College, where I pursued a degree in physics in order to answer one specific question, “why?” This question was my inspiration in my past/present research in social networking which looked specifically at the sociological relationships between friends in a social networking environment in the construct of social capital and social development. Basically, “why do we friend the people we friend and what else can we gain from these interactions?” I utilize most of my data from Facebook and yes, I realize I am living the dream of a thesis based on using Facebook. I use Gephi to visualize this information and show various communities and their most influential nodes (friends) within those communities. I have few exciting and real-life application ideas that I would love to add to Gephi.

Even though this is my 4th year of graduate work, my research has been quite, let’s say, eclectic. I have experience in the creation of ontologies. I developed an ontology and algorithm for the creation of indoor navigation for people of special needs. Also, I’ve worked with our industrial engineering department developing Google Maps and Google Android applications for aiding in the dispersion of people during a natural disaster. Most of my researching time though was spent in genome research, where we patented algorithms, applications, and visual environments to find both the entropy and enthalpy values for all genes in a genome sequence, relative to their nearest neighbors and non-local genome buddies. My resume if you are interested in seeing more details.

I believe I can bring a lot to the team in the sense that I enjoy working with people, expressing my ideas to a group, and providing an optimistic attitude to a working environment. I enjoy the idea of utilizing Gephi to aid in socially positive research and believe that human center design is the most crucial part to any project (even to the degree that I’ve taught a class in this at Pitt).

I look forward to talking about ideas. I thank you for the opportunity!
Patrick

xanibas

Post by xanibas » 30 Mar 2012 12:20

Hello everybody,

I just discovered about GSoC, and would fit amazingly well with a project I've been thinking of since a while!

Few words on myself...
I'm currently a PhD student at the Institute of Neuroinformatics, ETH/University Zurich, Switzerland. Although a biochemist by training, I have been working on the computational aspect of developing biological systems and actively contributed into different open source projects:
* development of a Java agent based software (Cortex3D) for the 3D simulation of biological development and growth (public alpha release at http://www.ini.uzh.ch/~amw/seco/cx3d/ and a publication of some simulations at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3233694/).
* I have started myself a new open source project for the interactive 3D segmentation of cell bodies in highly complex confocal volumes, consisting of Java plugins for ImageJ interfaced to native C++ code through JNI (for which we are prepearing a publication).

In brief, my project proposal is the development of an open source search and visualization tool based on graphs for scientific publications, whose aim is to make it easier, faster and more fun to browse the scientific literature. I'm quite disappointed by the current publication system, for which the importance of scientific articles is more correlated with the journal name, authors, and number of citations, than the papers real scientific value. I believe that the current browsing systems are inadequate, and the development of a transparent and intuitive tool to access citation networks would make a significant contribution to the scientific community.

My plan is to develop a citation retrieval system that would stream in real-time citation links from the Internet. This tool could be than interfaced with graphical visualization systems such as Gephi (I have not used Gephi before, but will dig into the code asap!). On this site I've seen quite some interest into dynamical graphs, which will be crucial for my project, and I'm looking for other people interested in participating :)

Best Regards,
Sabina

apatriarca
Gephi Core Developer

Post by apatriarca » 30 Mar 2012 16:36

Hi Sabina,

:roll: this is the 2011 presentation thread and you should use the new one: https://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1732

darkglobit

Post by darkglobit » 03 Apr 2012 00:36

Hi !

My name is Quentin Lobbé. I'm a computer science student from the University of Technologie of Compiègne ( France ) where I followed course of data exploratory analysis. Now I'm in 4th semester and i'm working on data mining and graphical interface projects.

I’m really interested in working with abstract data ( geographical network, web interaction ), managing it and giving them new signification using statistical, graphical and cognitive tools ( Bertin and Tufte’s work ).

I first used Gephi to conduct a study of the visibility of the city of Compiègne through the web http://dmnpignaud.perso.sfr.fr/blogIC05.php . I used Gephi as a user. And then during my Intership ( at the Complex Systems Institute in Paris ), I used Gephi API and Tools to develop an interface. This interface goal was to explore and analyse, throught time and space, mobility networks ( using mobile phone data )https://github.com/lobbeque/TouristsFlowInParis .

Now i want to bring my contribution to the gephi project with this google summer of code. I think the legend project is interesting for me because, during my intership, I began making a plugin to add map in the preview module. So there are a lot of good ideas that i could be able to bring in this project.

A least, i’m not just a geek wich spend all his time behind his computer, i’m also filmmaker ( let's have a look http://youtu.be/N9naRbQcK2g :D ), graphist, photograph and I do like Bernard Stiegler philosophy !!!

luizribeiro
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by luizribeiro » 03 Apr 2012 04:49

Hi Quentin,

This is the 2011 thread. Please, present yourself in the new topic for the 2012 program: https://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1732

Apparently the link in the Questionnaire is wrong. I'll notify Sebastien about this. Sorry! :roll: