Porting of Gython

GSoC developers forum
binarycrayon
Gephi Core Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Porting of Gython

Post by binarycrayon » 07 Apr 2011 20:16

It looks like @luizribeiro is having a good understanding to this task. I am also interested in this project and would like to see how it goes if not picked as a participator.

Read the 'GUESS' chi'06 paper, Is the implementation of Gython seems closely related to dynamic typing and console in Jython. The current implementation in GUESS requires a copy of Jython included and tested, and we may as well use that copy for the first deliverable for port. The Jython may be included to Gephi as a plugin to make it easier to maintain and upgrade.

I am also interested in how Gython is developed as a DSL in the future. Such as porting it to other platform (eg. processing) and implementation with other jvm based language (eg. Clojure)

luizribeiro
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by luizribeiro » 07 Apr 2011 21:47

@eytanadar
As I said before, I have no problems with porting Gython to Gephi during the summer and focusing on a DSL.

Although, I don't have enough time to rewrite my proposal so that it focuses on Gython before the submission deadline on Melange (which is due tomorrow).

I've heard from SRabbelier on the #gsoc IRC channel that mentors and organizations can allow proposal editing on Melange after the submission deadline. In case this really happens, is editing my proposal a possibility?

Should I submit another proposal or edit the one I've already submitted?

eytanadar
GSoC Mentor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by eytanadar » 08 Apr 2011 03:08

@luizribeiro I'm not sure it's necessary to edit it now (though someone who knows better might correct me). I suspect there are opportunities for revision.

luizribeiro
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by luizribeiro » 12 Apr 2011 00:37

Hi everyone, I have a new draft of my proposal. It is publicly available on Melange here and a PDF version is also available here. Any comments are more than welcome.

This time, my proposal focuses on Gython. I believe now I have a good understanding of the inner workings of Gython and I tried to expose my point of view of it on the proposal.

I propose to work on porting and implementing Gython's essential features like queries and the console user interface until mid-term evaluations deadline (for now, without the "mouse brushing" feature).

The remaining 5 weeks of the program are going to be used for implementing other Gython's features and documenting the scripting plug-in (I still don't know exactly which features are going to be implemented, I'd like some suggestions regarding this). Which features are considered of high priority?

If anyone's interested, I would like to work on a script editor for Gython in case there's enough time on the remaining of the program's timeline. The script editor would allow users to write and test algorithms on Gephi's graph structures.

Edit: I believe a lot more work can be done before mid-terms. Although, I still don't know which other features are considered as high priority for this project. Maybe working on dynamic graphs support with the rexact, rcontains, etc operators?