Is graph editing supposed to work in 0.7?

Discussion of development versions only
c.langreiter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Is graph editing supposed to work in 0.7?

Post by c.langreiter » 17 Feb 2010 03:48

I create a new project and try to add nodes and edges; however, after selecting the appropriate tools (node pencil/edge pencil) in the toolbar and clicking around in the empty graph area, nothing happens.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Platform: I'm using OS X 10.5. The Java version (according to java -version) is 1.6.0_15.

jacomyma
Gephi Core Developer

Re: Is graph editing supposed to work in 0.7?

Post by jacomyma » 17 Feb 2010 15:55

I've the same problem on Windows. Just seems that these tools are disabled for the moment... Unfortunately. (to be confirmed)

jbilcke
Gephi Core Developer

Post by jbilcke » 17 Feb 2010 18:33

Hi,

it looks like this bug happens when a project is created and empty, or a graph is loaded but without any network (ie. no edge).

thus, until this bug is fixed, you can load a "dummy" gdf file to initialize Gephi. By example, create a "empty.gdf" document, containing these lines:

Code: Select all

nodedef> name VARCHAR,label VARCHAR
0,A
1,B
edgedef> node1,node2,label VARCHAR
0,1,E
and load it in Gephi. You can now create nodes.

Be aware that the node size is 1.0 by default, which is very small, so you may need to zoom in, then scale the node (there is a tool for that, blue diamond icon).

The other solution is to select a bigger default node size, and edge weight.
You can do it here, in the toolbar just over the the visualization :

(here it shows edge weight, because I selected the Edge Pencil)

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mbastian » 17 Feb 2010 22:37

Yes I confirm, there is a bug, no graph is shown until there is some edges in the graph. Could you please report the bug? Thanks

c.langreiter

Post by c.langreiter » 18 Feb 2010 17:49

jbilcke, thanks a lot for the workaround!

Once I've finished my Launchpad registration (so many accounts ...), I'll enter the bug there.

c.langreiter

Post by c.langreiter » 18 Feb 2010 17:55

Another editing-related issue: When I click the "edit node attributes" icon & then activate the "Drag" tool, moving nodes doesn't work any more.

In general, tool activation seems a bit buggy/non-intuitive. What does it mean for a selection mode/tool (?) (Mouse selection, Rectangle, Drag) and one of the other tools (Painter, Sizer &c.) to be active at the same time?

c.langreiter

Post by c.langreiter » 18 Feb 2010 20:11

And one more "editing" question: Is it somehow possible to add node attributes?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 19 Feb 2010 11:13

This is a missing feature, we could make it available in editing window and in data lab.

I edited the Ideas List

c.langreiter

Post by c.langreiter » 21 Feb 2010 21:19

That would be rather useful, thanks for adding it to the list.

So the current way is to create the appropriate attributes in the application that exports/generates the network?

Are there any plans regarding formula-driven attribute creation (e.g. sqrt(inlinks))?

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 21 Feb 2010 23:06

So the current way is to create the appropriate attributes in the application that exports/generates the network?
Yes.
Are there any plans regarding formula-driven attribute creation (e.g. sqrt(inlinks))?
Yes, the Data Laboratory project plans to go much further in data manipulation, including
- Column add/remove/duplicate
- Basic formlula manipulation
- Transformations

How far would you need to use formula and transform your data ?