[TESTING]Visualization tutorial

Discussion of development versions only
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[TESTING]Visualization tutorial

Post by mbastian » 17 May 2010 13:46

Hi all, I'm finishing a new Gephi tutorial about Visualization. I'm requesting your suggestions, spell mistakes and comments about it. Helps wanted. Thanks.

Download here

Summary:
* Zoom & Pan
* Selection
* Color
* 3-D
* Labels
* Text size
* Text color
* Adjust labels
* Attributes text
* Text & Selection
* Screenshots
* Antialiasing
* Tools
* Transform texts
tutorial_visualization_thumb.png

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [TESTING]Visualization tutorial

Post by admin » 17 May 2010 17:52

Excellent!

You should invert slides 16 and 17, as slide 16 talks about Antialiasing, which is seen in the next slide.

Misspelling:
* slide 10: Label size depends of -> Label size depends on
* slide 10: Depends of the node size -> Depends on the node size
* slide 18: Tools ... allow various interaction -> Tools ... allow various interactions ??

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 19 May 2010 08:35

Thanks, I corrected the issues.

jacomyma
Gephi Core Developer

Post by jacomyma » 19 May 2010 13:33

Excellent.
I'll focus on little things I'd change:

- p2: "Each element has a function"
- p3: the mouse images are too white, it's hard to understand what it is
- p6: "Autoselect neighbors"
- p17 "High-resolution screenshots depend[no s] on ..."
- p18 "and allow various interactions"
- p19 "Click on the shorte[no r]st path tool"

Also, I would put a new title to page 22 like "bonus" or something. I felt that I somehow arrived to the end of the tutorial, and I would appreciate to be confirmed by a title that suggests that we'll now do something a little bit more sophisticated.

Last point, I think that this is closer to a "Quick Start Guide" than to a Tutorial. Not a big deal anyway...

Really good job! Very clear and useful.

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 20 May 2010 14:26

Thanks good remarks. I made the changes, except for the mouse images, too much time consuming to redo this for the moment.

Payne
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by Payne » 22 May 2010 11:03

Hi,

I found some hints:
- page 14 - attribute values are separated by a '-' and not by a '/' character

- potential bug - File/Import database/Edge list and click on the exit button in upper right corner, exception is thrown...
-potential bug - edge text appears only when size mode is set to fixed or scaled

- the visualization on selecting nodes/edges does not work well if the background color is changed, non-selected nodes are always white, which looks weird in many cases, I think color of non selected nodes should be the same as actually set background color and not always white

- why only the size of nodes and not edges can be simply changed through slider?

Toolbar:
- the composition of icons on the bottom of the canvas is not very straightforward for me
- the first slider is right behind T icon, so it seems you can change the size of the text, but the second slider changes size of node text
- so I think reorganizing the icons will be much easier to quickly work with program.

After changes it should be clear that:
- first slider works with edges
- second slider works with nodes text
- color and font can be set only for nodes
Attachments
Toolbar.png
Toolbar.png (4.25KiB)Viewed 29146 times

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 24 May 2010 10:52

Thanks!
- page 14 - attribute values are separated by a '-' and not by a '/' character
Corrected.
- potential bug - File/Import database/Edge list and click on the exit button in upper right corner, exception is thrown...
-potential bug - edge text appears only when size mode is set to fixed or scaled
Could you please report these bugs on Launchapd?
- the visualization on selecting nodes/edges does not work well if the background color is changed, non-selected nodes are always white, which looks weird in many cases, I think color of non selected nodes should be the same as actually set background color and not always white
Yes well observed, the selection color is hardcoded as white and background color is not taken in account. We should improve this.

I created a new blueprint for the visualization bar changes. Position of icons could be changed like this indeed. Looks more natural organization.

Payne
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by Payne » 24 May 2010 12:09

First bug was added to Launchpad. Second is not a bug, only the text is very small and I don't zoom too much...