Force Atlas seems not to work properly

Discussion of development versions only
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
seinecle
Gephi Community Support
Force Atlas seems not to work properly

Post by seinecle » 09 Feb 2010 14:41

Hi,

The Force Atlas seems to work awkwardly: very slow, the nodes do not spread: the isolated nodes remain at the centre when they should form a circle around the main component.

---- edit: this seems to depend on which data is used.

Best,

Clement

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Force Atlas seems not to work properly

Post by mbastian » 09 Feb 2010 23:03

Hi,

Is it with Undirected or Mixed Graphs only ?

jacomyma
Gephi Core Developer

Post by jacomyma » 10 Feb 2010 11:09

I was the author of the first implementation but I didn't make this one. The algorithm was empirically designed for medium sized, small-world, graphs.
--edit : I previously told bullshit. Attraction works fine. Nevertheless attraction / repulsion are not as well balanced as previously (repulsion has to be high) but no big deal.

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mbastian » 10 Feb 2010 15:03

The main difference I see is that now ForceAtlas use edge's weight when calculating forces. That could matter a lot, if you have edge weight different from 1.Probably needs more testing about this particular point and maybe specify it in the algorithm description snippet.