Multithreading?

User's perspective on software quality
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
elijah
Gephi Community Support
Multithreading?

Post by elijah » 31 Jan 2011 19:41

Is there any possibility of Gephi getting multiple processor support? I've got seven free processors and it's a real shame that I can devote 3 or 4GB to a graph but only a single processor. I know it's not easy, so I understand if the answer is no.

Also, tangentially, are there any thoughts regarding Gephi taking advantage of things like CUDA?

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Multithreading?

Post by eduramiba » 31 Jan 2011 20:21

Hi, elijah

For now, Gephi does not improve performance with multiple processors for most of the features.
But if you need a parallel layout algorithm, you can try this http://gephi.org/2010/openord-new-layou ... hm-so-far/. To install go to tools->plugins menu and download it.

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 31 Jan 2011 20:42

I've got OpenOrd and I'm happy with it for certain graphs but still prefer some of the other layouts for other graphs. I knew it was faster, but I didn't realize it supported multiple processors.

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mbastian » 04 Feb 2011 20:47

Gephi already takes advantage of multiple processors, but indeed could do better for layout. For instance, the visualization is in a separate thread, so it doesn't interfer with the layout. Filters, IO and other things are also executed in separated threads, as well as multiple layouts executing on diffrent workspaces.

The answer is definitely not 'no' :) But I see this a better fit for a Student Project than a core work.

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 06 Feb 2011 18:59

I noticed that everything else seems to have its own thread, which is great and makes the whole package run very cleanly. I just get sad when I see my graph slowly chunk along and only 12% of my processors are being utilized. It's not a terribly big deal.