Macbook Pro Retina, OSX 10.8?

User's perspective on software quality
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gianetto
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Macbook Pro Retina, OSX 10.8?

Post by gianetto » 27 Jul 2012 05:32

Does Gephi support the new Macbook Pro Retina and OSX 10.8? I realize these are recent developments, however this application lends itself to the high resolution display. If not, when is compatibility expected?

Thanks,
Dave

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Macbook Pro Retina, OSX 10.8?

Post by mbastian » 29 Jul 2012 07:43

Hi,

I don't know. Do you have some documentation I can read about this? I'm not sure what we are supposed to do on our side. Thanks.

gianetto

Post by gianetto » 30 Jul 2012 15:06

Here is a link that tells more about the changes in OSX 10.8 to support the higher resolution display, basically the pixel-density is double what it was before. Supporting this may involve making sure Gephi is workable at 2880 x 1800 screen resolution when scaled to a 15" monitor. Again, this may merely involve someone who owns one of these new Macbook Pros testing Gephi and seeing what happens (I don't own one). It may also be that making sure Gephi supports OSX 10.8 is enough to support the new display as well.
http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... rt-and-how

For OSX 10.8 in general, I think all it really takes is testing Gephi in this environment and looking for issues. Further, there is a new 'power nap' capability where applications can update silently wile computer is inactive, this may or may not be appropriate for Gephi though.

From what I've seen from other applications, you may need to register Gephi in some way so the 'gatekeeper' service can distinguish Gephi from malware, which is discussed here:
http://mygadgetnews.com/tech/all-you-ne ... ntain-lion
quote:
"Apple will provide digital signatures to every registered developer for inclusion in their software, so by the time Mountain Lion ships, most safe apps should be signed."

gianetto

Post by gianetto » 05 Aug 2012 16:32

gianetto

Post by gianetto » 07 Aug 2012 15:53

Since Gephi is a java application under netbeans, maybe the resolution of this bug report for netbeans will help improve the macbook pro retina support:
https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=215141
there is a work around it seems to merely do the following:
Here's the proper workaround to enable retina support w/Netbeans, until
formally supported. Though I am using Netbeans 7.2 RC1, I believe this fix
should work with 7.1.2 as well.

0. Close Netbeans if open.
1. Enable JRE 1.6.0_33. JDK 1.7.0_05 doesn't work with the following fix.
2. sudo vi /path/to/Netbeans.app/Contents/Info.plist
3. Add the following before </dict></plist> and save:

<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
<true/>

4. Logout or restart (to clear App cache).
5. Enjoy non-blurry Netbeans!

gianetto

Post by gianetto » 24 Aug 2012 05:38

Here's a Gephi screenshot of the problem. By adding the above key to the plist file text, menus, and buttons are generally high-resolution and 'retina like,' the remaining thing is the graph itself, which is fuzzy. The icons are also fuzzy, but this is less of a concern for me. I'd like for the graph to be high-rez since that's the real point of this application, visualizing graphs.
Attachments
Gephi_rMBP.tiff
Gephi_rMBP.tiff (1.65MiB)Viewed 20038 times

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 26 Sep 2012 16:41

Thanks a lot for all the details. I'll include all this in the next release. It will be based on the latest Netbeans Platform as well so we'll benefit fixes there as well. But yeah Apple must really hate Java to make our life so difficult every time they release new software.

For the graph itself I'll need to have one of the Macs to be able to fix it. There must be an OpenGL parameter we can tweak.

gianetto

Post by gianetto » 06 Oct 2012 04:52

Very true. For the graph, it may be as easy as doubling the output resolution in OpenGL...a guess...