An approach to improving network graph readability.

User's perspective on software quality
phreakocious
Gephi Plugin Developer
An approach to improving network graph readability.

Post by phreakocious » 28 May 2012 13:18

Thought this academic paper might be of interest to the Gephi community.

Motif Simplification: Improving Network Visualization Readability
with Fan and Parallel Glyphs - Cody Dunne and Ben Shneiderman

http://hcil.cs.umd.edu/trs/2012-11/2012-11.pdf

WeezyF
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: An approach to improving network graph readability.

Post by WeezyF » 31 May 2012 05:21

That paper is TIGHT. Could Gephi, like, be used to do that fan thing?

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by admin » 31 May 2012 09:19

It might be implemented in the Preview.

WeezyF

Post by WeezyF » 31 May 2012 19:17

Is this something that would have to be built into Gephi? like hand coded?
If so I'm happy to spend some time on it. However, I'm terrible at syntax and coding and stuff... Is there any way I could help?
-wfb

phreakocious
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by phreakocious » 03 Jun 2012 14:38

WeezyF wrote:Is this something that would have to be built into Gephi? like hand coded?
If so I'm happy to spend some time on it. However, I'm terrible at syntax and coding and stuff... Is there any way I could help?
-wfb
Yep, it would require implementing the pseudo-code included in the paper in Java, interacting with the Gephi Graph API.

Perhaps the developers would weigh in, but there may be some hurdles to overcome. Sebastien mentioned that it could be done in Preview, but I think that after the graph has been simplified and elements are replaced with glyphs, it would be desirable to re-run the layout algorithm against it. For the layouts to work correctly for things like 'prevent overlap' could be tricky, and this runs right into the longstanding feature request of changing the shape of nodes..

WeezyF

Post by WeezyF » 04 Jun 2012 06:53

How do yall thaink about this http://bit.ly/M2IUHq edge clustering paper. Like facebook or larger network graphs have like so many edges its makes the edges like useless.
Could this be a layout option to use like, after you run a ForceAtlas2?

WeezyF

Post by WeezyF » 04 Jun 2012 06:54

If you look closely at the pictures in the paper http://bit.ly/M2IUHq, i think they used gephi for their visualizations. crazy!

phreakocious
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by phreakocious » 04 Jun 2012 17:06

WeezyF wrote:How do yall thaink about this http://bit.ly/M2IUHq edge clustering paper. Like facebook or larger network graphs have like so many edges its makes the edges like useless.
Could this be a layout option to use like, after you run a ForceAtlas2?
There was some discussion around developing force-directed edge bundling a few years ago, and I thought it was a Google Summer of Code proposal. Not sure what came of it, though. This might be easier to accomplish with Gephi than the motif simplification approach.

http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 04 Jun 2012 17:16

Edge Bundling is on the way, say tuned...

WeezyF

Post by WeezyF » 05 Jun 2012 00:59

Fudge yeah!!! Can't wait.
Is that code thing happening again this year in NY?