Gephi on Android Tablets?

User's perspective on software quality
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
burkhardm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gephi on Android Tablets?

Post by burkhardm » 08 Dec 2011 15:08

Dear Gephi team,

Do you think it would be possible to migrate Gephi to Android 3.x / 4.x in order to use the graph visualization power on Android tablets? I don't ask you if you could migrate it as you have to concentrate on the current roadmap. However, at least you might know if Gephi could be created for the Android platform as well.

Keep up your awesome work!

Best,
Martin

jbilcke
Gephi Core Developer

Re: Gephi on Android Tablets?

Post by jbilcke » 08 Dec 2011 16:27

Hi,

The problem is the current interface (and the engine behind it, the NetBeans Plateform) is designed for desktop computers, not mobile devices.

If I had to do it, I would try to write a smaller, mobile friendly interface on top of the Gephi Toolkit, using the standard development toolkit (SDK/APIs) provided by the Android plateform (icons, buttons, menus, touch-screen support, OpenGL|ES rendering, and so on).

But for this, I'm afraid this would need modification inside the Gephi Toolkit itself (and certainly the Netbeans Plateform : integration with the Android system API, memory limitation, handle file access security, background processes, notifications.. that's a huge work)

burkhardm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Gephi on Android Tablets?

Post by burkhardm » 13 Dec 2011 11:56

Thank you very much for your insights. That's indeed a huge effort requiring several people to perform this task. Have to think about it.