Tweets about Gephi

User's perspective on software quality
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tweets about Gephi

Post by admin » 10 Feb 2010 10:45

August 3 2010
@yerovi84 Gephi give us power. The power to know.

...(plenty)

April 25, 2010
@ajegga Became sort of infatuated with Gephi. Use it now everyday for all network visualizations. Still using Cytoscape but Gephi is simply superb!

...(plenty)

February 26, 2010
@mitsmit #Gephi is the fastest for graph visualization too i have tried so far..

February 23, 2010
@JammerJar Gephi leave pajek for dead!

February 16, 2010
jdevoo Just stumbled upon Gephi, a #visualization software for graphs

February 10, 2010
@msquihuis Gephi - the tool to use for social graph visualization
@elishowk #gephi v0.7 released "Like awesomeness for Chuck Norris" (Chuck Norris)
@scidave Learned about http://gephi.org/ (via @moorejh) I've been looking for something like this for a while.
@jdudley Dayam! Finally, an alternative to Cytoscape. Must take it for a spin.

February 9, 2010
@hmason I just started playing with Gephi. Fiddling with these graphs is addictive.
@mza Pretty cool looking graph visualisation and analysis, right there on your desktop with Gephi.

February 8, 2010
@gfouetil #gephi 0.7 is out : http://gephi.org/ a new age for graph manipulation & visualisation, really !
@camillebob0 Awesome graph vizualisation platform

xptrxptr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Tweets about Gephi

Post by xptrxptr » 26 Dec 2010 12:34

... February 23, 2010
... @JammerJar Gephi leave pajek for dead

I would not bet on it.
Such statements are not worth Gephi community, I think.
I am using Pajek for a long time and now also Gephi.
I like both programs and I need both of them as well.
In many features they are complementary.
The main advantage of Pajek is speed especially when handling networks
having 1.000.000 or even more nodes.
For example I can create scale free or small world networks of that size
in few seconds.
Pajek made large improvements in last 6 months (e.g. Unicode support).
The other big advantage is a book published by Cambridge University Press
Exploratory Social Network Analysis with Pajek that makes anybody
start doing network analysis easy.
The second release of book is supposed to be shipped by CUP in the first or second
quarter of 2011.
So my suggestion to Gephi community is simply:
Instead of providing such foolish statements like
'Gephi leave pajek for dead'
try to collaborate with Pajek team from which we (the users)
can have only benefits.
Anyway,
congratulations the Gephi team and all the best in 2011.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Re: Tweets about Gephi

Post by admin » 26 Dec 2010 16:56

Sure, all tweets above come from the community...and they say what they want to say, not on behalf of the official team :)

Our official position is clear (internally, at least):
Different tools are efficient for different purposes. So we don't claim to replace anyone, and it's not our goal. But like Mozilla, we love to act as ass-kickers to foster the competition among softwares. Being provocative this way is beneficial for all users. Just have a look at the new Cytoscape website for instance, they totally turned their communication with a more comprehensive website.

We have great respect for older software communities, and we are aware that Gephi is still very young and is based on specific design choices, and we'll continue this way. I personally don't think that other softwares will disappear. But I think they will have to focus more on their strengths to keep their users. Pajek is great for graph generators, for instance. In Gephi, they are only included as an optional plug-in. Cytoscape is great for connecting to *-omics databases. Etc.

The problem now is that softwares are not enough differentiated, so it's a mess to choose which one for which purpose. And generally , one will want to use more than on tool... Facing this situation, we developed tones of file imports, and plan to develop exports as well with the help of the community to let users free to migrate their data. Have a look at this page, we'll let the community fund the features they want in an "open innovation" process.

Best!