Community with Edge Weight

Extensions and customization
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
elijah
Gephi Community Support
Community with Edge Weight

Post by elijah » 14 Feb 2011 18:46

Any chance that there's going to be a Modularity analytic that takes edge weight into account? As I understand it, Louvain does not, and this bears out to my experience with very (very) low-weight edges significantly reducing statistical significance of identified modules.

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Community with Edge Weight

Post by mbastian » 15 Feb 2011 06:02

That would be useful indeed,

Currently Louvain method in Gephi doesn't use edge's weight

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 15 Feb 2011 20:19

It would be incredibly useful. For very complex networks, I lean heavily on modularity, and it's lack of taking into account edge weight makes a mess of things. I just finished building a 120,000 node, 173,000 edge network focused on 50,000 documents, 10,000 words and 50 topics, and I'm dreading the actual representation of analysis of it with the currently modularity metric (edge weight ranges from .08 to 1.0). I've found workarounds with centrality and degree range, but mostly I end up dropping a broad swathe of low-weight edges to build the modules first.

To be even more ambitious, I'd like to see something that takes edge hierarchies into account as well. I categorize and supercategorize my edges on certain semantic graphs and if the modularity could somehow take this into account (rather than, say forcing the user to come up with some kind of arbitrary numerical identifier for edge significance when such an identifier is a crude representation of a semantic value) then I'd be extremely excited.

Which analytics and layouts take edge weight into consideration? I just realized I've been assuming when it's really unclear to me (I know Yifan Hu doesn't and ForceAtlas does).

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 16 Feb 2011 09:53

+1 !

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by admin » 16 Feb 2011 10:52

The official Louvain algorithm takes edges weights into account to build a hierarchy of modules in N levels.

So I guess we might fix that in our current implementation. I filled the Ideas List

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 16 Feb 2011 17:24

That would be incredibly valuable for my work. As it stands, I'm forced to pre-process my own hierarchy based on natural breaks in the edge weight, and it is tedious work.

incunix

Post by incunix » 02 May 2013 12:11

Any news on this?

Cheer,
Nick

incunix

Post by incunix » 02 May 2013 12:12

My bad - already implemented! Good work! :)
https://github.com/gephi/gephi/issues/556

Nick