Plugin Questions

Extensions and customization
shaunroach
Gephi Plugin Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Plugin Questions

Post by shaunroach » 14 Jul 2010 18:42

Hello,

I have developed a plugin for Gephi that uses the natural language processing technology from AlchemyAPI to generate graphs from text data.

I have a couple questions about making this plugin available.

1. When I go to publish the plugin at http://gephi.org/plugins/add/, I get a message that says "Please log in ou create an account.", even after I have created an account and logged in. How do I publish the plugin?

2. I used the trunk version to make this plugin, and it seems that many of the dependencies I used prevent this plugin from working on the version that is currently available for download. Would you recommend I develop using the older version, or is a new release happening soon?

3. It seems I have two options for making the plugin available for users, it can either go under "Import Spigot" or "Generate", and there are no options for making submenus, is this correct? How should I decide whether the plugin goes under "Import Spigot" or "Generate", and are there other options?

4. Is there a mechanism for adding preferences for a plugin that persist when the program restarts?

Thanks very much for your help, this is a great program!

Shaun Roach
AlchemyAPI

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Plugin Questions

Post by mbastian » 14 Jul 2010 22:49

Hi, that is great news! Happy to see more plugins being developed and shared!
1. When I go to publish the plugin at http://gephi.org/plugins/add/, I get a message that says "Please log in ou create an account.", even after I have created an account and logged in. How do I publish the plugin?
Sebastien may be more aware of this, and could fix it if there is an issue. He will answer asap.
2. I used the trunk version to make this plugin, and it seems that many of the dependencies I used prevent this plugin from working on the version that is currently available for download. Would you recommend I develop using the older version, or is a new release happening soon?
There is now a big difference between the trunk and the 0.7alpha4. The trunk is now using Netbeans 6.9, whereas it is 6.8 for the last release. That explain why it is not building. The next release is the 0.7beta for the end of August, so I recommend to go back to Netbeans 6.8 et 0.7alpha4 sources to release your plugin now.
3. It seems I have two options for making the plugin available for users, it can either go under "Import Spigot" or "Generate", and there are no options for making submenus, is this correct? How should I decide whether the plugin goes under "Import Spigot" or "Generate", and are there other options?
You have several choices. Do it in the static way and define a new action in Plugins, as explained here. For being in the Generator menu, you need to be recognized as a Generator, as explained here. If you implement generator and register in the system like showed on the wiki, you will appear in the generator menu.
4. Is there a mechanism for adding preferences for a plugin that persist when the program restarts?
Yes you can use the Netbeans Preferences system, it's easy.

Code: Select all

//Get a preference
String str= NbPreferences.forModule(MyClass.class).get("key1", null);
//Set
NbPreferences.forModule(MyClass.class).put("key1", str);

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 15 Jul 2010 08:55

shaunroach wrote:1. When I go to publish the plugin at http://gephi.org/plugins/add/, I get a message that says "Please log in ou create an account.", even after I have created an account and logged in. How do I publish the plugin?
Hi,

I thought I had fixed this :/
Please try now, I should work!

MrPok

Developing a Filter requires Netbeans 6.8 & 0.7alpha4 source

Post by MrPok » 15 Jul 2010 15:56

Hi,

The second question of the OP relates to the answer of my question in another topic, which entails that I will have to write a Filter:
mbastian wrote: ..
shaunroach wrote:2. I used the trunk version to make this plugin, and it seems that many of the dependencies I used prevent this plugin from working on the version that is currently available for download. Would you recommend I develop using the older version, or is a new release happening soon?
There is now a big difference between the trunk and the 0.7alpha4. The trunk is now using Netbeans 6.9, whereas it is 6.8 for the last release. That explain why it is not building. The next release is the 0.7beta for the end of August, so I recommend to go back to Netbeans 6.8 et 0.7alpha4 sources to release your plugin now.
For now I have only developed pretty straight-forward Java programs with no complex inheritance/class-structure/dependency-etc. So just to be sure I don't have to worry about things that are only caused by developing based on the wrong libraries etc.

:?: My question is:
If I want to write a Filter that will work with Gephi 0.7 alpha4 -- and may even be distributable as a downloadable plugin -- do I also need to "..go back to Netbeans 6.8 et 0.7alpha4 sources", OR
can I develop it using the latest Netbeans and the Gephi trunk?

The wiki page on Configuring Netbeans doesn't really advice against using Netbeans 6.9.

Kind regards,
Paul

PS. I've only used parts of Eclipse as an IDE; I'm new to Netbeans, so I don't know if I would miss out on kick-ass features if I was to use the older version..

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 15 Jul 2010 23:03

If I want to write a Filter that will work with Gephi 0.7 alpha4 -- and may even be distributable as a downloadable plugin -- do I also need to "..go back to Netbeans 6.8 et 0.7alpha4 sources", OR
can I develop it using the latest Netbeans and the Gephi trunk?
Yes you need to go back to NB 6.8. Versions of modules have changed from 6.8 to 6.9, so if you develop a plugin for 6.9 it depends on more recent versions than the 6.8 has. The contrary is of course true however, plugins develop for 6.8 remains compatible.

shaunroach
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by shaunroach » 16 Jul 2010 01:47

I just published my plugin, maybe you all could take a look at it and let me know if it works for you.

I have two questions:
1. It says my NBM file is not signed. Is that a big issue or should I get it signed, and how do I do it?
2. When I try to install the plugin on windows it gives me an error: "The Plugin Installer found problem timeout of loading". This happens when I try to install ANY plugin, not just mine. Do you know what is wrong?

Thanks for all your help,

Shaun Roach

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 16 Jul 2010 16:57

It says my NBM file is not signed. Is that a big issue or should I get it signed, and how do I do it?
No that is fine.
When I try to install the plugin on windows it gives me an error: "The Plugin Installer found problem timeout of loading". This happens when I try to install ANY plugin, not just mine. Do you know what is wrong?
Hum no, it could be interesting to see the log (how to find it). I already had this issue sometimes, but it was working when I restarted Gephi...

cck

Post by cck » 11 Aug 2010 14:21

mbastian wrote:
When I try to install the plugin on windows it gives me an error: "The Plugin Installer found problem timeout of loading". This happens when I try to install ANY plugin, not just mine. Do you know what is wrong?
Hum no, it could be interesting to see the log (how to find it). I already had this issue sometimes, but it was working when I restarted Gephi...
Hi. I am getting this error aswell on two machines.

Here is the part of the log that I think is related to this:
INFO [org.netbeans.modules.autoupdate.services.InstallSupportImpl]: Timeout waiting for loading module org.ucd.beliefpropagation/1.0
INFO [org.netbeans.modules.autoupdate.ui.wizards.InstallStep]: timeout of loading BeliefPropagation[org.ucd.beliefpropagation/1.0]
org.netbeans.api.autoupdate.OperationException: timeout of loading BeliefPropagation[org.ucd.beliefpropagation/1.0]
at org.netbeans.modules.autoupdate.services.InstallSupportImpl$3.call(InstallSupportImpl.java:437)
at org.netbeans.modules.autoupdate.services.InstallSupportImpl$3.call(InstallSupportImpl.java:302)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
[catch] at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any ideas?

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 13 Aug 2010 08:30

Are this machine linked to Internet? Proxy?

cck

Post by cck » 13 Aug 2010 10:46

They are both online. One by proxy, the other not.

In the past on both machines I have been able to update gephi via the automatic updates. The above is happening when I try installing my own plugin.