Graph streaming from C++ library to Gephi as client

Extensions and customization
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lynchs61
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Graph streaming from C++ library to Gephi as client

Post by lynchs61 » 28 May 2013 18:30

I have a C++ library I've been developing to study a particular dynamic graph construction that I'm using to model a physical system. I have a few different ways to visualize the graphs using policy classes (so it's easy to plug in different ways of doing this). One of the policies writes the dynamic data to a file in the GEXF format. But now I want to make it so the the data is streamed from the running application and viewed real time in Gephi.

My understanding of this is that I would set up Gephi as the Graph Streaming client, start an HTTP server from the C++ library, and then send the dynamic data over HTTP from C++ to Gephi.

Unfortunately this is about the extent of my understanding. So my question is: Has anyone done this before? I've seen some example videos but they seem to just show the visual outcome, not how it was actually done. Also I've never seen this done using C++ before and I'm a little lost as to how to do this over HTTP from C++.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

panisson
Gephi Plugin Developer

Re: Graph streaming from C++ library to Gephi as client

Post by panisson » 05 Jun 2013 13:59

Hi, I've never seen an example of graph streaming using C++.
If you think it is possible to make your C++ code available as a python module, you can use the python examples (https://github.com/panisson/pygephi_graphstreaming) to implement it. You can do it using Cython, for example.
Otherwise, I think you'll have to re-implement the same APIs in C++.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable