GeoLayout

Extensions and customization
Maudthecat
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: GeoLayout

Post by Maudthecat » 31 Aug 2012 22:10

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a map with the same projection to act as an underlay. I've tried looking in google, but that maps that I've found won't line up well. More recently. I've been using this website Indie mapper that will project maps according to different projections (http://indiemapper.com). None of their maps line up with the projections from Gephi on a map of Canada and the USA. St. John's Newfoundland, in particular, always seems to be quite off. Is it possible to either show some maps that work with your projections or provide more information on how you projected your maps to make it easier to find/make maps that work?

For example, you point to Wikipedia for information on the projections for Transverse Mercator projections but that page seems to me to describe different ways of doing that projection depending on how you centre your map etc. I've even tried talking to a geographer about creating a map that would work but they say they need more information on how you do your projections to create a proper background map.

This has kind of been driving me crazy, I've tried lining up multiple maps/sociograms and can't seem to get one the lines up properly.

panklam
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by panklam » 09 Nov 2012 22:18

Hi,

I am having trouble getting Gephi to recognize latitude and longitude when I import this data from a CSV file.

I have the latitude and longitude in columns, but when I run GeoLayout Gephi does not recognize these columns as containing latitude and longitude information. I tried adding extra columns (to make "double") in the CSV file, but this file will not load without an error of "repeating column names"...

I tried to do a round trip of the airlines sample file from Gelphi -> CSV -> import back into Gephi and the same thing is true.

What magic do I need in the CSV file?

thanks

patti

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 10 Nov 2012 19:06

In Datalab > Import Spreadsheet, be sure to cast the columns as double.

panklam

Post by panklam » 12 Nov 2012 20:11

Thank you so much. I didn't notice to scroll "up" on the import. All is fine now on the latitude/longitude.

Hamouda

Post by Hamouda » 10 Dec 2012 15:47

I'm importing geocodes form CSV, the CSV contains intonational geocodes if the makes any deference and I'm getting the error below any one can help please?

ava.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Number
at org.gephi.plugins.layout.geo.GeoLayout.getDoubleValue(GeoLayout.java:476)
at org.gephi.plugins.layout.geo.GeoLayout.goAlgo(GeoLayout.java:159)
at org.gephi.layout.LayoutControllerImpl$LayoutRun.run(LayoutControllerImpl.java:178)
[catch] at org.gephi.utils.longtask.api.LongTaskExecutor$RunningLongTask.run(LongTaskExecutor.java:251)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:439)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

ricardoareias

Post by ricardoareias » 16 Aug 2013 20:50

Is there any way to force nodes apart in GeoLayout?
I am geolocating individuals in different cities, but when I have two or more nodes in the same location, they get overlapped.
Is there a way to apply any of the ForceAtlas layout features and blend it to the GeoLayout code? and last information, I know nothing about code :(

Thanks
Ricardo

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 24 Sep 2013 11:44

To whoever subscribed for updates on this forum thread: this plugin might be useful:
https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/maps-of-countries/

Best,

Clement

paulmlovejr

On Geographic Coordinates

Post by paulmlovejr » 09 Oct 2013 03:03

Hello! This is really an incredible help and saves a lot of time. However, I am looking to save even more time, if possible.

My question is about the GeoLayout long/lat coordinates. As of write now, I have a csv file of names, dates, cities, and associations (i.e., other people with whom each name is associated in some way). What I am looking to do is to map the relationships between this individuals for my dissertation on medieval North Africa.

While I can certainly manually change all of the city names to their specific coordinates, I am wondering if there is a way to have the program do that automatically. There are probably only 25 different locations but something like 2000 nodes. Is there a way for me to automatically have, for example, "Tunis" read and plotted on the graph as its coordinates without manually going through and adding the coordinates in a column for each node.

If this is a newbie problem (and I hope it is!), my apologies for my newness. I'm brand new to network theory and extra brand new to Gephi.

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 09 Oct 2013 07:31

Hi,
I think what you need is a "geocoding" service: something that turns an address (or a city name) into lat / long coordinates. I found this one, which is free and looks easy to use (not used it myself): http://geoservices.tamu.edu/Services/Ge ... fault.aspx

After that, you still need to work in a spreadsheet to add these two new columns (lat and long) next to the column with the city name: with Excel or OpenCalc you have straightforward ways to do that quickly.

Ideally, this service could be integrated in a Gephiplugin, and that would not be hard to do: select a column with the adress / geographical location and two colums (lat and long) would be automatically created with the correct coordinates. But that needs a bit of time to create, and everybody is already stretched I suppose! ;-)

Best,

Clement

paulmlovejr

Post by paulmlovejr » 09 Oct 2013 16:40

Hi Clement! Thank you very much for that -it will certainly get me started.

All the very best,
Paul