GeoLayout

Extensions and customization
PabloFle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: GeoLayout

Post by PabloFle » 02 Aug 2011 19:54

mbastian wrote:Hi, your problem fits to exporting your data in the GDF format, which looks like CSV.

So first export your node table as CSV (with coma as separator) and then edit your file in a text editor. Add a header like below:

Code: Select all

nodedef>name VARCHAR,label VARCHAR, latitude DOUBLE, longitude DOUBLE
The name column is basically your id, that your edge table uses.

Then export your edge table in CSV as the two first columns are the pair of nodes identifiers and the third is the weight. Append this to your GDF file and add the following header in between:

Code: Select all

edgedef>node1 VARCHAR,node2 VARCHAR, weight DOUBLE
You can add more attributes as columns also, Gephi will import them. To have the geolayout working, the latitude and longitude columns should be DOUBLE type.
I have a pajek NET file and I want to use the GeoLayout plugin. I've been trying with a file like this one:
*Vertices
1 JFK 23.8767 -67.4537
2 ORD 33.8457 -42.4371
3 LAX 54.5555 -12.333
. . . .
. . . .
*Arcs
1 3 10
1 8 20
2 4 45
etc

*Vertices:The second column is the node label and the third and fourth is latitude and longitude, for instance.
*Arcs: The third column is weight.
So my questions are>
1.with a pajek NET file would GeoLayout work?
2.If not, how would, the example, look under a GDF format?
3.Node id has to be a string in GDF format? example: instead of 2, n2.

Thank you very much. Im really stuck with this!

PabloFle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by PabloFle » 03 Aug 2011 11:25

mbastian wrote:
I found that explanation of formatting GDF file *very* helpful, thank you; now, how did you produce the image with the US map behind it? Did you have to export into some kind of KML format and reopen the file or can you create the background map directly in the UI of GePhi?
I simply exported the graph as SVG and put the US map behind in Illustrator :)
Hi mbastian,
Instead of using illustrator Im using Inkscape. But how did you manage to scale the SVG file to the US map image? Manually? In my case doesn't fit well.
Is there an option GeoLayout for scaling the SVG file?

Thank you!

jonswords

Post by jonswords » 23 Oct 2011 14:08

This looks absolutely fantastic, and that's not just because i'm a geographer.

My coding skills are very weak, but i'm a quick learner, so would a kind user be able to post a sample csv or gexf file with some simple code for using the geolayout plugin? I've tried creating the data in gephi but i'm doing something wrong.

I note mbastian has posted a graphml file, but i can't get it to work correctly and i've just learnt how to write code in gexf. I can't face learning another format :oops:

brtw2003

Post by brtw2003 » 12 Jan 2012 10:41

hi geolayout-pros,

just started to play around...yeahh, another analytics newbie.

to generate the according graphml for my datasets is clear, but i don't know, how to map graphical maps to it.

so my question:

-how can i use mercator/uml conform images from google maps and the necessary steps to use them as 'background' for the gephi data geolayout plugin? What do i miss here? Is it possible within gephi (export needed)?

The airgraph example is good, but how did you map the generated gephi layout to this map?

thanks a lot!
Gerald

digimetic

Post by digimetic » 12 Jan 2012 23:39

Any chance there's a way to get this layout to work continuously such as in the same way that Force Atlas and others do?

I'm streaming node data into the workspace and it would be fantastic to see the results as they happen.

Thanks,

- B

digimetic

Post by digimetic » 25 Jan 2012 20:14

digimetic wrote:Any chance there's a way to get this layout to work continuously such as in the same way that Force Atlas and others do?

I'm streaming node data into the workspace and it would be fantastic to see the results as they happen.

Thanks,

- B
I figured out a way around this by using the Coordinate View layout - which does allow for continuous streaming data. Basically i took a peek at the code for the GeoLayout to see how lats and longs were being translated to Xs and Ys, and implemented the math into the API call (via the Streaming plug in).

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 28 Jan 2012 19:34

Any chance there's a way to get this layout to work continuously such as in the same way that Force Atlas and others do?
We could add this indeed. It could be an option.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 14 Mar 2012 10:08

+1 I also have this need.

Timoslav

Post by Timoslav » 25 Jun 2012 18:39

Hi guys,

great plug-in! thanks so far!

My problem is the "scale" setting. I don't get it...

I have a set of nodes and everything is fine...now I wanna export it and underlay it with a map of munich.

The problem is, that I don't now which scale my map has to be. The usual scaling 1:m doesn't work because GeoLayout is referencing the scale setting to earth radius. Sorry I'm no geographer, hopefully you did get my problem.

thanks in advance!

kobeoudom

Post by kobeoudom » 04 Jul 2012 13:46

hey guys.. i am so new to Gephi and Geolayout..I got data from of cites from dbpedia and geoname with their latitude and longitude. I wanna put those cites according to their lat and lang on Geolayout and map them on the map background ..could you give some idea to do that..

thx

Kobe