[SOLVED] N00bie here. How to hide a node type

Extensions and customization
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
yoyoceramic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] N00bie here. How to hide a node type

Post by yoyoceramic » 10 Aug 2012 20:34

Hi Everyone,

First off, I am very new to Gephi and graphing data in general. What I have is a database of 1000 alumni from a high school. Assigned to each alum is what year they graduated, and who they still stay in touch with.

Here is my problem: The data I am most interested in is seeing which alumni are the "most connected". That is, which alumni are the most followed by other alumni. The problem is is that the "class" nodes, contain all the alumni, so they crowd out my data on the layout. It skews my data

For example, in the attached screen shot Russell is me. My grad class is 2003. I don't care to see what alumni also are in 2003, I only want to see who "Russell" knows. Unfortunately, when I Force Atlas the data, the class nodes bully all the other smaller nodes, such as "russell" around.

A degree range filter does not work, since some classes are very small, and some alumni are very well connected. What I would like is to just be able to tell gephi to not consider the class nodes when ranking the nodes.

I hope this makes sense. Please forgive me, since my knowledge is very rudamentary at this point.

yoyoceramic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: N00bie here. How to hide a node type

Post by yoyoceramic » 10 Aug 2012 20:43

Here the link to the image. Sorry for the brokenness.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/demrg6re5wl5f ... 123751.gif

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 11 Aug 2012 12:28

Hi,

Interesting.
If I get it correctly, I think you should delete all your nodes corresponding to classes. Your network will be made only of nodes representing alumni.

The information about each alumni's class will not be lost. You put it as an attribute for each node. What are attributes?
- you can create them and edit them in the "data laboratory" view of Gephi
- you can use them as a basis to color, resize, filter... your nodes
- for examle, if you want to make alumni from older classes look red, and recent alumni (from 2011) look blue, in the data lab you:
=> create a column called "class"
=> fill the value for each node
=> go back to the overview panel
=> select the "ranking tab"
=> click on the "refresh" icon on the left (the 2 green arrows in a circle)
=> select the "class" attribute in the drop down menu "choose a rank parameter"
=> among the icons on the top right corner of the ranking tab, select the one that is about recolorizing the nodes (first one on the left)
=> click on the horizontal color gradient and select red as the lower value of the class, blue for the highest value. Don't touch the values under it.
=> click apply

That's a very long explanation, things are detailed in a tutorial with screenshots here:
https://gephi.org/tutorials/gephi-tutor ... _start.pdf

Best,

Clement

yoyoceramic

Post by yoyoceramic » 17 Aug 2012 22:28

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. How simple. All I did was delete the year nodes from the data lab. Thank you my friend. Do you have a bitcoin address? I can send a tip your way if you do.