Adding a plugin to simulate message transmission

Extensions and customization
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lorenberg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Adding a plugin to simulate message transmission

Post by lorenberg » 20 Dec 2011 16:28

Hi everybody,

I'm a PhD student in computer science and I started to use Gephi for analyzing some data, but as far as I know, it is not possible, once you create a graph, to transmit messages between one node and the others (like in a communication network). So, it is also not possible (always according to my basic knowledge of the system, obviously) to evaluate something like a disease spreading (assuming the graph represents the movement of a population), right?

If you confirm me that these features are currently missing, I will start developing a proper plugin in this sense.

Thank you,

Lorenzo

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Adding a plugin to simulate message transmission

Post by admin » 20 Dec 2011 16:36

Hi Lorenzo,

These features are indeed missing. I guess most of people simply write down their own algorithms. How such plug-in could help? Feel free to discuss some specification here.

cheers,
Seb

lorenberg

Post by lorenberg » 20 Dec 2011 16:53

Well,

first of all I think it should be possible to add a kind of wireless channel modeling (taking into account possible interferences, concurrent transmissions, coverage and so ) as well as other network parameters (adding queues to each node to evaluate the impact of different queue management policies).
In other words it would be nice, in my opinion (and again, if I'm not aware of the existence of this feature just tell me :) ), to add a plugin to give users the possibility of using gephi also as a proper high-level network simulator in addition to its features of network visualizer and analyzer.
Something similar to what is done by commonly-used network simulators (as Omnet++ or NS-2, just as an example and obviously in an extremely simpler way, at least at the beginning :) ).

What's your feeling about this?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 20 Dec 2011 17:04

This is an excellent idea!