gephi does not display the graph anymore

Once it's running
akratz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gephi does not display the graph anymore

Post by akratz » 12 Jun 2018 02:28

:?:
I was using gephi 0.9.2 without any problems under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Suddenly, gephi does not render anything anymore at all. It is still functional regarding tabs, buttons, textual elements, can even calculate stuff in the "statistics" panel, but the main window where the graph usually appears simply does not render anything.

I do not know what triggered this behaviour, but I think it might have happened after a sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade. Or maybe it was something else entirely.

I completely deleted gephi, downloaded from scratch, the behaviour persists. Therefore I think it has nothing to do with my gephi per se, but maybe with the java backend?

I would be very thankful for help. I am relying on gephi, it is criticial for my project and I do not know how to fix this, now totally stuck.

Product Version: Gephi 0.9.2 201709241107
Updates: Updates available
Java: 1.8.0_171; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 25.171-b11
Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 1.8.0_171-8u171-b11-0ubuntu0.16.04.1-b11
System: Linux version 4.13.0-45-generic running on amd64; UTF-8; en_US (gephi)
User directory: /home/kratz/.gephi/0.9.2/dev
Cache directory: /home/kratz/.gephi/0.9.2/dev/var/cache

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: gephi does not display the graph anymore

Post by eduramiba » 13 Jun 2018 10:47

Hi,
Please make sure to have proper graphics card drivers installed. I suggest trying with latest mesa drivers.

ifizer

Post by ifizer » 19 Aug 2018 12:30

Same occurred to me too. I updated Kubuntu 16.04.5 to 18.04. It has been some months I have not used Gephi. Now the graph is not appearing. It initializes it and it don't finish.

Can I debug the situation somekind? I want get more info what went wrong. My computer is HP 8200 and I use Kubuntu.

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 19 Aug 2018 12:40

Hi,
Please try to delete gephi user directory https://github.com/gephi/gephi/wiki/Troubleshooting and restart.
Also make sure drivers are ok, and if still not working try to enable software rendering as explained here:
https://github.com/gephi/gephi/issues/1962 and https://github.com/gephi/gephi/issues/1836
with env variable

Code: Select all

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1

ifizer

Post by ifizer » 19 Aug 2018 13:09

My computer uses open jdk. There is a path java-11-openjdk-i386. If this affects something.

I deleted ~/.gephi and started it in console:

me@mycomp:~/temp/gephi/gephi-0.9.2/bin$ ./gephi
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory (file:/home/me/temp/gephi/gephi-0.9.2/platform/lib/boot.jar) to field java.net.URL.handler
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Gephi doesn't find old projects anymore.

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 19 Aug 2018 13:15

Yeah the warnings should not be a problem. But you should try to use Java 8, Java 9 or later is not supported yet.

ifizer

Post by ifizer » 19 Aug 2018 14:09

I changed to java 8. That didn't solve the problem.

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 19 Aug 2018 14:22

Is gephi correctly picking java 8? Did you try the software rendering? What driver and graphics card does your system report?

ifizer

Post by ifizer » 21 Aug 2018 21:45

Kubuntu got an update to JDK 11. And now starting Gephi it returns to command prompt with error messages.

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory (file:/home/me/temp/gephi/gephi-0.9.2/platform/lib/boot.jar) to field java.net.URL.handler
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
%

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 22 Aug 2018 11:24