Gephi freezing after plugins installed

Once it's running
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nz.ruster01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gephi freezing after plugins installed

Post by nz.ruster01 » 30 Jun 2017 05:25

Hi All

Running latest Gephi 0.9.1 on Windows 7. (both 32 and 64 bit versions)

Latest Java 8.131 installed

When Gephi is first installed, it seems to operate fine. However, once a few plugins are installed (you close Gephi and re-open) Gephi just freezes upon the first mouse click. A reboot does not fix - same issue

As a result, we have to force close the application in task manager. And we cannot use Gephi at all

I have tried a few previous versions of java to see if this will fix.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? And perhaps offer any advise -

Thanks
Steve

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Gephi freezing after plugins installed

Post by eduramiba » 30 Jun 2017 08:56

Hi Steve,

What plugins are causing this problem? Try to delete your gephi user directory as explained here https://github.com/gephi/gephi/wiki/Troubleshooting

nz.ruster01

Post by nz.ruster01 » 04 Jul 2017 03:31

Thanks
The freezing occurs with any plugin combination picked at random. For example: I just tried with a single plugin :JSON Exporter. Same issue - Gephi freezes after plugin install when re-launching the application. Force close required.

To dive deeper into our configuration: Gephi is installed on the test PCs via an account with local admin permissions. However, Gephi is, and will only used with a standard user account. A standard user account does not have local admin permissions.

With this in mind, does Gephi require elevated permissions to run plugins? If so do you think I would be able to workaround this issue by granting a specific user full control to particular files/folders? If so, which locations please?

Many thanks -

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 04 Jul 2017 19:09

Hi,

You should not need admin permissions for installing or running plugins.
Maybe you can try to install Gephi out of program files directory, or directly use the .tar.gz distribution. It runs on any OS (executables are in bin folder) and can be extracted to any user directory and just run. https://github.com/gephi/gephi/releases ... nux.tar.gz

nz.ruster01

Post by nz.ruster01 » 12 Jul 2017 04:27

OK - I have tried (as you've kindly mentioned above) running Gephi from outside of Program Files. I have been testing using the .tar.gz version from c:\temp. I have granted "Everyone": Full control to that folder (and child folders and objects) and have ensured that the user has Full Control on their profile folder (c:\users\%username%).
Still no luck for me, it freezes after any plugin is installed. As soon as I put the user into the the local admin group on the PC and log them back in, Gephi works fine.
Are there any other folder locations which I could grant permissions to for the user without giving them full local admin access?
Thanks in advance - Cheers

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 14 Jul 2017 11:01

You can try to place the .tar.gz installation in the user folder (c:\users\%username%\software\gephi for example) because I think plugins are installed where the tar.gz was extracted