How to make the GUI font size larger.

Once it's running
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bdauriol
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
How to make the GUI font size larger.

Post by bdauriol » 06 Dec 2016 12:53

After an initial install, it seems that the GUI font size is very small (what looks like 9 or 10pt). How can the font size be increased (pull down menu, menu options, GUI labels). I've looked at the menu options for preferences, searched the Gephi manuals and this forum. I've tried switching languages, no effect. Perhaps this is a windows question (I'm running windows 10, 64bit), I don't know. B.

jos1518
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How to make the GUI font size larger.

Post by jos1518 » 07 Dec 2016 10:29

I'm attaching a screen-print of two problems with the menu font:
1. window tab space overlaps text, can't read text.
2. font too small.

Please advise about how to fix the menu font problem.
thank you.
Attachments
gephi-menu-font-problems.pdf
(70.16KiB)Downloaded 307 times

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 07 Dec 2016 10:46

Not sure what could cause this problem on Windows. What is your java version? Is it updated?
Does it work better using a larger window size for Gephi?

jos1518

Post by jos1518 » 07 Dec 2016 11:01

java version: latest update: Version 8, Upd 111 (build 1.8.0_111-b14) 2016
same problem at different window sizes including full screen. I've also changed the screen resolution and then reset it back to normal & recommended: same problem. The overlapping menu problem is annoying, but the too-small text is a big user-interface problem. thanks for any help on this problem.

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 07 Dec 2016 11:06

It's strange this happens, are your graphic cards drivers up to date?

Do you have some big scaling settings enabled? (for example for using a 4K resolution). In that case, Java for windows is still not mature at all to manage that kind of resolution.

jos1518

Post by jos1518 » 07 Dec 2016 11:35

thanks for that tip, it turns out, no. so I will update (I've switched from Intel integrated over to Nvidia in my Nvidia control panel) , but it may take a little time before I can schedule a restart as I'm running some large projects right now...

I'm running 2880x1620 resolution.

That said. perhaps these ideas are a red-herring as I have many software without either of these problems. Again, the overlap is annoying but a work around is quitting and re-starting Gephi. I'd really like to be able to increase the font size on some of the text dialog input boxes though.
thanks.

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 07 Dec 2016 11:46

That resolution (3K?) might actually be problematic for Java Swing GUIs (I have seen worse problems with 4K resolution in Java apps and many other apps, so I ended up using 1080p).
Unfortunately this is a known problem in Java not simple to fix, but you can try: http://superuser.com/questions/988379/h ... pi-display

jos1518

Post by jos1518 » 07 Dec 2016 11:58

ah. I'm following your thought now. thanks. I will check into this further in a few days.
Thank you :)