Java 7 and Windows

Once it's running
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
vhertzb
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Java 7 and Windows

Post by vhertzb » 04 Sep 2014 13:58

I am teaching a network science class using Gephi for my labs. We have a Citrix client so everybody in the class is using the same installation and has access to uniform data. I am now teaching some version of this class for the 5th time, but I have not taught it in a year.

In preparing for the lab for next week, my TA found that one of the projects would not load properly. I forwarded it on to my school's help desk. The systems people researched it further and found that it is due to the need for Java 6. They are now running the Citrix with Java 7 and cannot go back as there are too many other applications on it that need Java 7.

Is there a new install that works with Java 7 in the windows environment? When I look there is only 0.8.2 beta, which has not been updated since January 2013. I know that this problem has been known for a while (i've experienced it with my Mac, and have been using Java 6 on it for over a year in order to get a work around).

For now, the systems people will create a separate virtual windows environment so my students. Is there anything else I can I do for now? For the long term I will try another network package if this is not fixed soon.

I will point out that a woman could have had two babies, two new complete human beings, in the amount of time that has lapsed since this has been an issue.

hbruch
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Java 7 and Windows

Post by hbruch » 04 Sep 2014 22:45

Hi,

the 0.8.2 branch on github contains a fix for a Java8 incompatibility, which was solved for windows by upgrading the underlying netbeans platform. I'm running it successfully under Java8 on Windows 8.1., though not via citrix.

To my knowledge, this branch is not continuously built, and no precompiled download is available. Perhaps your systems people can check out this branch, build it and check it out?

This fix, however, might not solve your issues on Mac, as there seems to be another Java7 version issue with the underlying graphics engine jogl. This issue, besides others, is addressed in the current gephi-0.9 migration efforts.

Best regards,
Holger