Beginners guide to Gephi: Twitter

Once it's running
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Saltypdx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Beginners guide to Gephi: Twitter

Post by Saltypdx » 16 Mar 2012 03:56

Hey pals,

Looking for some good reading material / tutorials / videos on creating network maps on Gephi. The data that I will be working with is Twitter and I'm pretty much clueless on assigning Nodes, Edges, Clustering, and Modularity.

My CSV headers are -

Twitter ID,Text,Profile Image URL,Day,Hour,Minute,Created At,Geo,From User,From User ID,Language,To User,User ID,Source

Anything having to do with this data could be my first project, but I'm not exactly sure how to put it together and "make it pretty." I guess having a well formed starting point such as - Content from Users over time; yet I'm not sure if starting with those 3 things is leaving out an important detail that will hold me back from understanding how to correctly work with Gephi.

The data I'm working with is available @ http://www.r-shief.org/csv/shared/F29-raw.csv.gz

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Beginners guide to Gephi: Twitter

Post by eduramiba » 19 Mar 2012 20:35

Hi,
I looked at the data, and you can model relations (edges) with the "From User" and "To User" fields.
But many of the tweets don't have a "To User" value, so those rows can't be an edge and will be ignored.

So, the steps you need to follow are:
  • Open the csv file with a text editor and change "From User" header to "Source" and "To User" to "Target"
  • Go to Data Laboratory, click on Import Spreadsheet, select Edges Table and select the csv file.
  • In next step, check the columns you want to import to edges table
  • That's it. But i recommend you to go to nodes table and copy Id column values to Label column for visualization.
More info here http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/Import_CSV_Data

I attach a gexf file with your data imported so you can check if you are doing it right.

Eduardo
Attachments
F29-raw.gexf
(856.09KiB)Downloaded 209 times