error when opening gephi project file

Once it's running
ajegga
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
error when opening gephi project file

Post by ajegga » 19 Sep 2011 21:26

I am having trouble opening saved gephi project files. I am getting the following error message:

"The project file couldn't be opened. Please check the file has .gephi extension.
IllegalArgumentException - The value column doesn't exist"

The saved files do have .gephi extension. I even tried opening the gephi application and then go thru the File menu (open) to open the project and even that fails. However, if I repeat it again the file opens. Not sure what's going on. I even re-installed Gephi.

Thanks
Anil

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: error when opening gephi project file

Post by seinecle » 20 Sep 2011 10:07

Hi,

The problem and a solution are described here:

http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... it=opening

Hope it will fix the issue!

Best,

Clement

ajegga
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ajegga » 20 Sep 2011 18:24

Thanks Clement but as I mentioned in the earlier post even when I try opening it via file ->open (from Gephi), I still have the same problem. What is surprising is sometimes it just opens either way (by double clicking or going thru file menu) suggesting that there's nothing wrong with the project file.

Anil

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 21 Sep 2011 05:10

Hi,

Indeed my mistake!

Best,

Clement

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 23 Sep 2011 18:36

I opened a bug

psychemedia

Post by psychemedia » 28 Sep 2011 19:50

I've been having all manner of problems today with project files not loading back in once saved, including:

- "null pointer exception - are you sure it's a gephi file?" errors (yes, I'm sure; gephi even managed to partially open the same files on occasion, although only ever showing the topmost of several workspaces).

I'm also have a superstitious belief (I need to check this properly...) that if I save a project with eg Workspaces 0, 1, 3 (having deleted workspace 2, for example), the import can be a little shakey...?

I've tended not to save projects much before, but I need them now for a couple of projects that I'll be collaborating with others on... so I guess I have a question: is the project handling a bit ropey, and if so will it be fixed in the forthcoming release? If not, do you have any hygiene hints that I can use to maximise the likelihood of project save and reload working properly, because I'm obviously doing something wrong, or have the wrong expectations* about what project save/load means!;-)

* My expectations are: project save saves every workspace in a linearised way; on opening the project, each workspace is recreated with the same state as when it was saved.

thanks
tony

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 29 Sep 2011 02:34

Hey Tony, we rewrote the saving/loading feature for the 0.8alpha release (it used to be extremely slow and memory-hungry) and we probably didn't fix all the bugs. We fixed all the bugs which were reported though and I would be happy to fix more. Usually with the project file which is causing issues we can figure out pretty quickly what could be wrong. Please send me one of the project file you can't open to <mathieu.bastian@gephi.org> so I can fix the issue for the next release.
I'm also have a superstitious belief (I need to check this properly...) that if I save a project with eg Workspaces 0, 1, 3 (having deleted workspace 2, for example), the import can be a little shakey...?
No, I don't think so.
I've tended not to save projects much before, but I need them now for a couple of projects that I'll be collaborating with others on... so I guess I have a question: is the project handling a bit ropey, and if so will it be fixed in the forthcoming release? If not, do you have any hygiene hints that I can use to maximise the likelihood of project save and reload working properly, because I'm obviously doing something wrong, or have the wrong expectations* about what project save/load means!;-)
We spent a lot of time building a robust load/save framework and there is no reason why it shouldn't work 100% of the time. If we find bugs we will fix them quickly.
* My expectations are: project save saves every workspace in a linearised way; on opening the project, each workspace is recreated with the same state as when it was saved.
That are pretty much the specifications of that feature ;)

Helene L

Post by Helene L » 12 Oct 2011 10:47

I know that the bug is meant to have been fixed - I read it - but I am still having exactly the same problem, as previously described impossible to work on any file, save it and reopen it (be it through the welcome screen or the open project or even through the old Gephi beta).

I guess I must download something to fix the bug? My checking for updates consistently fails... please help! (BTW I am on Mac)

THANKS!

Helene L

Post by Helene L » 12 Oct 2011 11:06

I just tried downloading and using the Gephi0.8beta (I was on the alpha)

1- without using the update functions (that worked then)... result impossible to open the gephi file previously saved
2- once i updated the various plugins, then not only could I not open the gephi files, but again I could not check upates anymore....
3- I tried to deactivate seadragon and website plugin UI...alas still impossible to check updates

Sorry... but if you could help that would be great.

Maybe the previous gephi file is definitely corrupted and I just have to rework on my graph?

Thanks!

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 12 Oct 2011 23:53

1- without using the update functions (that worked then)... result impossible to open the gephi file previously saved
Are you behind a proxy?
2- once i updated the various plugins, then not only could I not open the gephi files, but again I could not check upates anymore....
Would you mine sharing the file with me (mathieu.bastian@gephi.org) so I can see if I can reproduce the problem? Thanks.