[TODO] Betweenness Centrality metric for weighted edges

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Grepper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[TODO] Betweenness Centrality metric for weighted edges

Post by Grepper » 22 Feb 2011 20:42

I'm currently playing around with the betweenness centrality metric and if I understand it correctly, the current implementation does not pay attention to the value of edges, right? Like if an edge has the value of 20 the path along is (in betweenness we look at shortest paths) would be 20 times as long (or as short) as a path along an edge with the value of 1.

Is there any way to tell Gephi to use the edge-value for the calculation of paths? Or is value simply not the right attribute?

I tried to work around this by putting multiple edges form node A to node B but they don't seem to influence the betweenness calculation either.

By the way: I am talking about the toolkit/Java library.

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: Betweenness Centrality metric for weighted edges

Post by seinecle » 22 Feb 2011 22:49

Hi,

I don't think Gephi handles that. To my knowledge, one of the rare tools around to compute metrics on weighted networks is Tnet, a package for R developed by Tore Opsahl: http://opsahl.co.uk/tnet/

Specifically, there is a function for betweenness, described here:
http://opsahl.co.uk/tnet/content/view/43/30/

Readers of this forum might also be interested to know that Tnet provides functions to analyze bipartite and longitudinal networks!!

Best,

Clement

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Betweenness Centrality metric for weighted edges

Post by admin » 23 Feb 2011 10:23

Hi,

Edge weight is not supported in the current implementation. I filled the Ideas list to adapt it in the future.