[FIXED] In/Out Degree

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
doglaus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[FIXED] In/Out Degree

Post by doglaus » 24 Aug 2010 22:49

I have some doubts with this measure.
In my directed graph the results of in degree and out degree are the same. It should not be the same.
Does anybody know how the calculation of this measure is made?

pbittner
Gephi Plugin Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: In/Out Degree

Post by pbittner » 25 Aug 2010 00:18

If you are talking about the Average In Degree and Average Out Degree calculated with the In/Out Degree statistic, it is normal to find identical values. They are calculated by summing the in degree (or out degree) value of each node that make the graph and dividing the final sum by the number of nodes.

With a directed graph: AvgInDegree = AvgOutDegree = NbEdges/NbNodes.

doglaus

Post by doglaus » 25 Aug 2010 12:46

In a directed graph. The In Degree isnt the number of edges that arrives in one node? And the out degree isnt the number of edges that leaves a node?
If the calculation is the same why two different names to the same result? There is any case that the values are different?

pbittner
Gephi Plugin Developer

Post by pbittner » 25 Aug 2010 14:28

You are correct about the definitions of In Degree and Out Degree. When running the In/Out Degree statistic, these two metrics are calculated for each node of the graph and displayed in the Data Laboratory and the Edit panel. The AvgInDegree and AvgOutDegree shown in the statisctic report are identical for a directed graph but the calculation done to obtain them is different. Therefore, I think that it is good to mention both. But I agree with you on the fact that it is a little misleading.

arwelsh

Re: [FIXED] In/Out Degree - with multiple edges between node

Post by arwelsh » 30 Oct 2014 19:30

Quick additional question regarding the calculation of in and out degree...
I know that Gephi cannot show multiple connections between two nodes, and that it applies an algorithm to accommodate that fact by applying an edge weight value. However, does Gephi record the directionality of the edges that it is combining? i.e. when In Degree is calculated, is Gephi incorporating all of the data that was uploaded, or, a version based on the fewer edges that have been combined?

Maria Croatia

Re: [FIXED] In/Out Degree

Post by Maria Croatia » 12 Sep 2016 17:28

What does mean value and count in gephi statistics. I have 40 nodes and 42 edges. I cant read the meaning of value and count.I don't understand in what measures is that. Thank You