Layout multi-level graph

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cfabri
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Layout multi-level graph

Post by cfabri » 17 Jun 2014 17:35

let me start out by saying this is a nice piece of software that generally works really well. Some questions below.

I have a graph consisting of nodes with 3 attributes at each node. I'm trying to get a clean layout of the 'group by' nodes that result when I use the Partition panel to 'group by' one of the three attributes.

My graph has ~5k atomic nodes in it; under groupBy, there are 50 nodes;

question 1 - is there a way way to control the size of the resulting 'grouped by' nodes? They currently range in size from 'very small' to 'very large' - roughly 1-50 (using the scale I see in the Ranking panel). I would like the 'groupBy' nodes to be equisized or at least more modestly different from each other.

I would like to see the smallest and the largest at the same magnification scale - so I can take it in at once.

question 2 - how do I get the layouts to apply themselves to these 'group by' nodes? At the moment, at appears, that the layout operation is being applied to the atomic nodes themselves but not the groupBy.

I need these 50 nodes to arrange themselves in some rational way. Currently, they just spiral around the screen (apparently, responding to the layout operation on the atomic nodes).

question 3 - is there a way of controlling the thickness of the links b/w 'groupBy' nodes? Currently, they reflect the 'scale' setting in the panel at the bottom of the screen (Global/Nodes/Edges/Labels). However, some are 'very thick' while others are 'very thin'. changing the scale so that the widest are more modest means some become nearly invisible. In generally, the 'very thick' links wipe out the 'very small nodes'. Ideally, would want to turn off this scaling (and possibly replace it with a number).

The net effect of these issues is that the 'groupBy' nodes are difficult to work with but in fact it's here, at this level, that the most important information (in this graph) resides.

tx.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable