[Solved] Generating my own partition graph

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
diddyxn
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[Solved] Generating my own partition graph

Post by diddyxn » 23 May 2014 13:26

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible to generate a partition graph and a list of grouped nodes without : launching Modularity, actualize Partition->Nodes, set Modularity class ?

What is the input to generate this partition graph and set all the communities (groups) ? Because I have a list for all my nodes, all my edges and all my communities and I just want to color the communities without launching the Modularity class. I have searched in the toolkit, and the only way I found was to set a Modularity class.

Is it possible to color and group my communities without this class ?

Regards.

-- *EDIT SOLUTION --

Well I have found the solution. I had to set an attribute for each node depending on the community they belong to (node 3 -> idcommunity 42; for example) , then press the actualize button in Partion tab, and now I could group the nodes and have access to the partition graph.
Last edited by diddyxn on 27 May 2014 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Simon_St

Re: Generating my own partition graph

Post by Simon_St » 24 May 2014 11:47

Hey there,

what is the reason for avoiding the modularity statistics algorithm? What do you want to achieve?
An alternative partitioning function can be found under "Clustering":
Image.
Unfortunately Gephi seems to be still in its infancy and the method was not really working too well for me (takes really long, depending on which values you enter and gives strange results [Here you can read more: http://micans.org/mcl/]).

Apart from this, I do not know an alternative. You can also try exporting the network as ".net" files and then use Pajek (a similar, more mature tool which on the downside is rather less visually appealing, clear and intuitive to use), which offers an advanced set of community detection methods.

Good luck!

diddyxn
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by diddyxn » 26 May 2014 09:44

Thank you for your answer. Actually, I have my own kind of modularity algorithm that cut my nodes into some communities. I managed to generate a graph and color all the nodes depending of the communities they belong to.

What I want to achieve is to push the button actualize under Partition tab to get the partition graph following the colors I have created and to have the possibility to group my communities. So I want to know if there is a possibility to do so because I know gephi is still young. :roll:

diddyxn

Post by diddyxn » 26 May 2014 15:48

Well I have found the solution. I had to set an attribute for each node depending on the community they belong to (node 3 -> idcommunity 42; for example) , then press the actualize button in Partion tab, and now I could group the nodes and have access to the partition graph.

Thank you

blue.bear

Re: [Solved] Generating my own partition graph

Post by blue.bear » 29 May 2014 13:00

Thanks for sharing solution.