Detecting Bridging Ties

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Simon_St
Detecting Bridging Ties

Post by Simon_St » 14 May 2014 20:34

Dear Gephi community,

for my thesis I want to analyze user content generation behavior on Facebook ego-networks and their structural measures. Part of the small-world literature by Watts/Strogatz implies that it is a certain portion of local bridges that is optimal for the diffusion of information.
I would like to test this using the extracted .gdf files of netvizz (using Gephi or Pajek).

Let's dig a little deeper into the problem: Given the definition in the book "exploratory social network analysis with pajek" a A bridge is a line whose removal increases the number of components in the network (Noov, Mrvar and Batagelj) - But this is not really what I am looking for, as there might simply be alonger path around it.

Using the dual-circle layout plug-in and the built-in modularity (Lovain(?) community detection) I arrive at a similar visual depiction to the watts and strogatz layout, of a rewired ring-lattice.
The depiction makes clear that the desired definition should rather be "an outspanning tie" and not one that can break the network apart into its comonents".
How can I quantify these outspanning ties? I.e. I am not necessarily looking for ties that are breaking the network into a new component - there might simply be a longer path around it, but I am looking for those ties, where upon their removal the average path length would increase the most. I thought about betweenness centrality here, but where is then my "cut-off" value?
Ideal would be a measure that builds up on the community detection, quantifying the number of communities that a node reaches. Is there something like this?

Thank you for your help already!

Edit: Hey there, I saw 177 people have looked into my post already. Yet I did not get any replies :( Is the problem that the question is not clear? Is the answer too obvious or too complicated? I would greatly appreciate any comment or discussion, even if it does not directly solve my problem.

Simon_St

Re: Detecting Bridging Ties

Post by Simon_St » 01 Jul 2014 23:43

Neighborhood Overlap was what I was looking for. Look up Easley and Kleinberg's book, if you stumble upon the same problem. Neighborhood Overlap = 0 for ties that are local bridges

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable