How to detect scale free networks

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cinus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
How to detect scale free networks

Post by cinus » 25 Sep 2013 16:27

I am working on a hyperlink network of 554 websites. I would like to know if there is a statistic or a plugin that can tell me if this network is scale free, and how much it adheres to a scale free model in comparison with the average web. I have the impression that this network is not scale free at all, but at the moment I can affirm that only through visualization.

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How to detect scale free networks

Post by admin » 25 Sep 2013 18:17

Of course you can't through visualization, and it's even really difficult with statistical measures.

See the most reliable methods here:
http://tuvalu.santafe.edu/~aaronc/powerlaws/
http://vserver1.cscs.lsa.umich.edu/~crs ... g/491.html

cinus

Re: How to detect scale free networks

Post by cinus » 26 Sep 2013 09:27

It seems feasible with python, too, but maybe I am on the wrong way.
So, can I ask you a suggestion? I have this network of 554 websites, and I have the impression that the nodes are interconnected in a stronger way in comparison with what i expected: they don't appear (from visualization) to form communities, but a dense network of communication instead, at the periphery of the network,too. It is because of that that I though about a scale free test. What would you do, instead, to quickly test if the network is more horizontal, with a not so fragmented periphery? In terms of statistics more than of visualization, if possible.