Zero-values for Directed Closeness Centrality

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
emmalijohansson
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Zero-values for Directed Closeness Centrality

Post by emmalijohansson » 03 Dec 2012 16:25

When doing the statistics for closeness centrality for directed networks (also betweenness centrality) I end up with a lot of 0-values. What is the reason for this?

I can imagine for nodes that only have 1 in-degree that they might get "trapped" when direction is taken in consideration. But I also get some 0-values for data with both in- and out-degree.

Is there an easy explanation?

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Zero-values for Directed Closeness Centrality

Post by admin » 03 Dec 2012 16:35

Hi,

Can you share your data in GEXF? It seems to be a bug.

emmalijohansson

Post by emmalijohansson » 07 Dec 2012 10:19

Here is my network. It is weighted and directed, where the nodes are countries and the edges are the flow of land between countries.
Attachments
Network.gexf
(185.62KiB)Downloaded 202 times

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 08 Dec 2012 16:52

Hi,

I can't find 0-values for data with both in- and out-degree, but for the case of self-loop. Can you point me to an example? Thanks.

emmalijohansson

Post by emmalijohansson » 12 Dec 2012 10:02

Examples are Congo and Costa Rica where Closeness Centrality, Betweenness Centrality and Clustering coefficient all are 0.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 12 Dec 2012 16:41

Congo and Corsta Rica have out-degree of 0, so they can't reach any other node in the network. The results are therefore consistent.