[SOLVED] How to visualize differences in Product Portfolio

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
seinecle
Gephi Community Support
Re: [SOLVED] How to visualize differences in Product Portfol

Post by seinecle » 12 Feb 2013 11:35

Hi,

So, if I understand well you give a different scale to different features. Say, unimportant features will scale from 0 to 5, while important features will scale from 0 to 100. Looks ok to me, this gives plenty of flexibility to weight different features.
In terms of implementation in Gephi, in my experience values for weights are a nagging issue. If you apply a Force based layout (such as force atlas), nodes connected by edges with large weight values (my rule of thumb: above 20) will tend to be drawn very close to each other - almost nothing will be able to separate them.

So in my experience I transform all weights to a 0 to 10 scale. In your case, after processing your data outside gephi, you'll end up with weights probably with very large values. Before importing to Gephi, rescale them in this manner.

That's a pity we don't have a better view on how edge weight values exactly translate in terms of layout...

Best,

Clement
PS: please open separate forum posts for your future questions, possibly referring to this thread via a link!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable