[SOLVED] subgroups & hubs

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
d-lam
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] subgroups & hubs

Post by d-lam » 13 May 2010 17:33

Hi,

how can I identify & separate subgroups in a network?

And is there an algorithm who make hubs more visible? For example pushes parts (some nodes) in the network who are closer/denser in itself apart .....and maybe in the middle (between all the parts)....there is a hub!?!?!? :)

Thanks & Greetings,
D-Lam

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: subgroups & hubs

Post by mbastian » 14 May 2010 09:05

Hi

Subgroups and communities can be found with using Modularity algorithm, as showed in the Quick Start.

I don't understand what you mean about hubs more visible? I think the best way to make a node more visible is to increase its size. And you can do that in Ranking. Maybe you can provide a screenshot to explain what you need.

d-lam

Post by d-lam » 14 May 2010 12:14

Hi,
thanks for your help.

Subgroups: Ok, you are right, but especially I mean subgroups (dyadics & more) who are disconnected with the main network. For isolates it is easy (degree filter).....but for dyadics or more???
In networks with 10000 nodes & edges it's hard to see under so many edges if there is a dyadic in the middle of the network!

For example I thought there is an algorithm (maybe the force atlas do that) who design the network from...
NW.JPG
to.......
NW disconnected subgroups.JPG
I thought it is important because for closeness or betweenness I need one connected network without disconnected subgroups....so I have to delete these disconnected subgroups.....or can Gephi handle that???

Hubs: Yeah you are right again......my fault.....I mean another visualization (mhhhh....I hope I mean that :? )......so from....
NW1.JPG
to......
NW hub.JPG
Especially for networks with 10000 and more nodes & edges it's very helpful! Or is it what the Force Atlas do(or something like this)???

Thanks & Greetings,
D-Lam

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 14 May 2010 23:26

Yes for subgroups you're looking for "Connected components". The algorithm is very easy, but we don't have it yet in Gephi. We should add this in the next release I guess.

And getting the network without disconnected components is looking for what is named the "Giant Component". A filter is also missing to get it.

And for hubs, yes using ForceAtlas layout algorithm definitely makes the network readable and reveals structures.

d-lam

Post by d-lam » 17 May 2010 13:43

Thanks for the infos!!!!

Greetings,
D-Lam