Resolution in Modularity

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
matthias_tauveron
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Resolution in Modularity

Post by matthias_tauveron » 02 May 2012 18:00

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the release for the v0.8.1, which is a very great one.
I had a question about an innovation in this version : where does the tunable "resolution" of the modularity come from ?
Unless I've failed to notice it, the Blondel et al. (2008) paper does not say any word about it. There seems to be lots of tunable modularity algorithms in the literature today, but I never found an explanation.

Any reference ?

Thx,
Matthias Tauveron.

taynaud
Gephi Plugin Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Resolution in Modularity

Post by taynaud » 03 May 2012 09:57

Hi,

It is described in :
R. Lambiotte, J.-C. Delvenne, M. Barahona Laplacian Dynamics and Multiscale Modular Structure in Networks 2009

It is the simple version which just add a *t somewhere in the modularity definition.

classmates

Post by classmates » 03 May 2012 10:13

"Fast unfolding of communities in large networks"-------you can google this paper

matthias_tauveron

Thanks

Post by matthias_tauveron » 03 May 2012 18:12

Thanks a lot.

The paper of Lambiotte et al. describes it very well. Unfortunately, one must carefully read equations and demonstrations to find the link between their resolution and the Q factor.

Is there any project of writing a comprehensive handbook for Gephi, with an explanation of where the metrics come from, and what they give an account of ? I would like to read it, or, if it does not exist, I would be proud to contribute.

Best,
M.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 04 May 2012 08:10

Thanks Matthias,

We don't have any plan to write the manual - it's a hard work. Would you have any idea to create it collaboratively? I've not found any service which is simple and good enough...