[SOLVED] Degree Distribution Metric Report

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
masp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Degree Distribution Metric Report

Post by masp » 25 Apr 2010 10:56

As a new member I want first to give my best regards to everybody.

Hi... I under if some one can help me to interpret the Degree Distribution Metric Report. What can it be concluded about this result?

Network Revision Number:
(191, 1111)

Parameters:
Network Interpretation: undirected

Results:
In-Degree Power Law: -0.0
Power: -2.778288556564374

Attached pdf with the graphic.

Thank you
Miguel Pereira
Ph.D. candidate
Personal webpage: http://home.cea.uevora.pt/~masp/index.html
Research: http://www.catedra.uevora.pt/rui-nabeir ... ui_nabeiro

masp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Degree Distribution Metric Report

Post by masp » 25 Apr 2010 11:08

UPS... not a PDF ... but a jpg
Attachments
Fig.jpg

pjmcswee
Gephi Core Developer

Post by pjmcswee » 25 Apr 2010 21:05

Miguel Pereira,
Welcome to Gephi Miguel. This test indicates whether or not the network in question is so called: "scale-free." In practice, a power-law between: -2 and -3, indicates a scale-free network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale-free_network

Hope this helps,
~Patrick

masp

Post by masp » 26 Apr 2010 07:03

I was not so sure about the evidence of a scale-free network. Thank you for the help Patrick.
Miguel Pereira

ronaldomenezes

Post by ronaldomenezes » 29 Oct 2010 19:17

I'd like to use this example because I don't understand in gephi what the axis mean. I have done a few tests and although the distribution is correct (and so is the degree of the power law) I can't find why the axis don't show k, degree, and p(k), probability of degree k. For instance, in an example I have my no degrees go all the way to 70 but the degree axis on gephi goes to 4 only. Why? I know the metric report is already a log-log plot.

Can anyone tell me what the axis are? Thanks

ronaldomenezes

Post by ronaldomenezes » 01 Apr 2011 16:27

ronaldomenezes wrote:I'd like to use this example because I don't understand in gephi what the axis mean. I have done a few tests and although the distribution is correct (and so is the degree of the power law) I can't find why the axis don't show k, degree, and p(k), probability of degree k. For instance, in an example I have my no degrees go all the way to 70 but the degree axis on gephi goes to 4 only. Why? I know the metric report is already a log-log plot.

Can anyone tell me what the axis are? Thanks
Trying again. Anyone has an explanation of the above?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 01 Apr 2011 16:51

Hi,

The reports have been changed recently so you won't have any problem in the next version, coming out April 5! See the release notes.

Note that the Degree Power Law metric has just been removed as it not precise enough to draw a conclusion.

ronaldomenezes

Post by ronaldomenezes » 05 Apr 2011 22:45

admin wrote:Hi,

The reports have been changed recently so you won't have any problem in the next version, coming out April 5! See the release notes.

Note that the Degree Power Law metric has just been removed as it not precise enough to draw a conclusion.
I've noticed it!! It have a distribution in which the exponent of the degree distribution is know to be 1.20 approximately and gephi is telling me it's 6.9!

Looking forward to the update. thanks

mvandoorn

Post by mvandoorn » 11 Apr 2011 16:36

Hi,

I am pretty new to all of this so please forgive me if the answer to this should be obvious. I would like to know the raw numbers of the degree frequency distribution. Does Gephi provide this as output anywhere?
Thanks!
-Marianne