Modularity for directed / weighted graphs?

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
UlaSagarra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Modularity for directed / weighted graphs?

Post by UlaSagarra » 13 Jan 2012 12:37

Hi all,

I've been using Gephi lately but only for visualization (since I program mostly in python and use NetworkX for the calculations).

But I wanted to use the modularity algorithm integrated in Gephi on my network. The problem is that my network is weighted and directed, and I was wondering wether the implementation of the Blondel Algortihm is adapted to these circumstances.

I (tried) to check the sourcecode but wasn't very successful (never done anything in java).

Thank you in advance for setting up such a cool program!

Cheers

Ula

taynaud
Gephi Plugin Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Modularity for directed / weighted graphs?

Post by taynaud » 03 Feb 2012 14:09

Hi,

Currently, Gephi does not handle directions and weights.

I am working on using weight for modularity, it needs debugging but I will do my best to finish it for the next release.

It is more difficult for directed graphs, because modularity is not defined for them. Community detection is IMHO still a completely open problem for directed graphs and I do not see any "consensual" algorithms or definition like the modularity.

Best,

Thomas

incunix

Post by incunix » 02 May 2013 11:58

Hey there,

Curious as I too need to do modularity analysis on a weighted by undirected graph - any update on this development?

Many thanks!
Nick

WouterSpekkink

Post by WouterSpekkink » 04 Jun 2014 09:42

I am also interested in doing modularity analysis with directed graphs. I found the following paper, which appears to define modularity for directed graphs: http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.1647

I might give its implementation a try, although my Java skills are not that great.