Does Eigenvector Centrality account for Weighted Edges?

Computing metrics, community detection and data handling
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dsprice
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Does Eigenvector Centrality account for Weighted Edges?

Post by dsprice » 01 Nov 2011 23:27

Apologies in advance for a question that seems like it should be answered via seach. Tried to locate answer to no avail.

Does Eigenvector Centrality account for Weighted Edges in my graph?

Also, in the future where would I look to find answers to questions like this one?

Thanks!

---
David

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Re: Does Eigenvector Centrality account for Weighted Edges?

Post by elijah » 02 Nov 2011 01:46

It doesn't--I think Page Rank is the only centrality measure that takes into account weighted edges now. It seems that a statistic is only Edge Weight-aware when you see the option to take edge weight into account.

dsprice
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dsprice » 02 Nov 2011 02:01

Thanks for the help, elijah. It really helps confirm what I was seeing when I ran some tests.

I do see it's in the queue for future development, which gets me excited. For now I'm off to use R for some Eigenvector calculations <sigh>.

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 02 Nov 2011 16:56

I think we're all still at the point where we pull out of Gephi to run the graph through Network Workbench or our scripting language of choice. In some cases, I think it's just inevitable, as Gephi will never have the level of statistical depth of more dedicated methods. Still, I'd like to see a weighted option for every statistic in Gephi.

dsprice

Post by dsprice » 02 Nov 2011 17:20

Thanks for the heads up about NW. I'm familiar with R and Octave so it's new to me.

Last question re: Page Rank. Do you know what method is being used in Gephi? I was actually using Eigenvector Centrality assuming it was the right analysis for Page Rank type ordering.

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 03 Nov 2011 20:33

I couldn't tell you more about it than the reference when you run it and what you'd find by reading the source code. I'm sure some of the network scientists that mill about this place could give you a decent answer...