[SOLVED] No edges in visualization

Screenshots, Vectorial Preview and printable exports
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Shine
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] No edges in visualization

Post by Shine » 27 Dec 2010 15:29

Hi,
I just started working with Gephi and I faced problems in visualization. I imported a database to the Gephi for nodes and edges. When the program starts, a window shows that I have 11k nodes and 100k edges. But when the graph is made, there is no edge in the graph. Also the edge tab in the data table is empty! What is the reason? How can I solve it?
I tried to make graph with smaller database and it works, the size of my database is the problem?
I am using Gephi 0.7 on windows 7.
Thanks

rotten
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: No edges in the visulazition!

Post by rotten » 27 Dec 2010 19:12

There is a slider that adjusts the size of the edges. It is on the bottom of the screen. Assuming you have the "show edges" button depressed/selected, try dragging that slider.

I'm also assuming you can see the edges defined in the Data Laboratory.

Graphs with larger sets of nodes start "zoomed out farther", so the edges are too tiny to show up from a wide view unless you weight them heavier (with the slider).

You can also mess with the Ranking feature to change the edge weights. I don't like using Ranking on edges because you can't undo it other than by exiting without saving, and then reloading your original data. If you do mess with the Ranking feature, save your work to that point as a project, try Ranking, if you don't like it, revert to your saved version.

If you forget to save first, you'll have to start over with partitioning, filtering, layout processing, etc....

I usually import from GDF files. When Gephi loads the GDF, it counts up the occurance of each edge and assigns a 'Weight' column with the count value. It then automatically scales the edge thickness based on that column. For all of my purposes so far, that automatic linear scale edge weight has been sufficient.

Anyway, I think all you probably need to do is select the 'show edges' button, and slide the slider over a bit.

rotten

Post by rotten » 27 Dec 2010 19:26

Ah, I should probably point out that the slider I'm talking about is in the 'Overview' workspace. If you are in the Preview workspace you would manually adjust the 'Thickness' value.

Shine

Post by Shine » 27 Dec 2010 19:38

Thanks a lot,
I already checked show edges and also played with the slider but there is no difference. Maybe there is a problem in my data because as I said I see that there are 100k edges at the beginning of the program but there is no edge in the visualization.

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 28 Dec 2010 23:29

Your problem looks like more a memory starvation issues. Due to the high number of edges, it takes a lot of memory, so I would advise to set a larger heap size. See http://gephi.org/users/install/#memory