[TODO] Background picture

Screenshots, Vectorial Preview and printable exports
vlabatut
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Background picture

Post by vlabatut » 21 May 2011 08:15

vlabatut wrote:hi,
i'd be interested in a layout plugin taking euclidean coordinates as parameters, e.g. (x,y)
the closest i found was this plugin, but here node locations are described in terms of latitude and longitute, though
does anyone know if what i'm looking for exists?
thanks!
vincent
i actually could manage to get what i wanted, so if it interests someone, here's the way:
using the GeoLayout layout, set parameters lattitude and longitude to your Y and X attributes, respectively (and not the opposite). then choose the equirectangular projection, and you're done.
cheers.

kobeoudom
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [TODO] Background picture

Post by kobeoudom » 04 Jul 2012 13:42

hey guys.. i am so new to Gephi and Geolayout..I got data from of cites from dbpedia and geoname with their latitude and longitude. I wanna put those cites according to their lat and lang on Geolayout and map them on the map background ..could you give some idea to do that..

thx

Kobe

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 07 Jul 2012 13:20

kobeoudom wrote:hey guys.. i am so new to Gephi and Geolayout..I got data from of cites from dbpedia and geoname with their latitude and longitude. I wanna put those cites according to their lat and lang on Geolayout and map them on the map background ..could you give some idea to do that..

thx

Kobe
Hi, Kobe
You will need to place the map image manually under the graph, outside of Gephi.

I did it once and it was not as painful as it sounds. My approach was:
Apply Geolayout and export SVG file
Obtain a map image that suits the graph
Open the SVG file with Inkscape and add the map image behind nodes and edges
Move and resize the map image to make it match the cities in the graph

Eduardo

definex

Post by definex » 28 Jul 2012 21:03

any news on this topic?

I'm new to gephi, and am looking to make a graph on top of an image (which happens to be a map, but could be any image in theory).

I wouldnt even mind if i had to freeze the graph at a particular resolution in order to be able to draw it on top of a fixed resolution image.

I just dont see any way of importing a background in gephi.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

_d

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 30 Jul 2012 18:34

Hi,
We'll add support for background image in preview in next Gephi major version (with mouse interaction to move an resize).

Eduardo

Netwerker

Post by Netwerker » 21 Feb 2013 22:31

Hello,
just wondering when the next upgrade with this feature (Background picture) will come?
Many thanks,
Bernd

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 24 Sep 2013 11:46

Hi,

If you still follow this thread, this new plugin might be of help:

https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/maps-of-countries/

Best,

Clement

Simon_St

Post by Simon_St » 13 May 2014 12:18

Why dont you simply allow for export as .tif with a transparent background? People could just use Photoshop or whatever they like to add the background later on. I feel that the functions of Gephi should be kept simple for better usability.

scienceviz.com

Post by scienceviz.com » 03 Aug 2014 15:44

... is it still planned to add support for a background image in the preview window?
Would still be a nice new feature! Please let me know! Thanks in advance!

William3

Post by William3 » 21 Feb 2017 22:09

Hello,

Is this still a planned feature? I know there is a workaround, but it is a bit cumbersome and can lead to some inaccuracy in the data. Have seen quite a few requests and plans (including in the visualization API) for this but I can't seem to find the functionality anywhere.

Any information is appreciated. Maps are handy, but this would be extremely helpful to use in creating networks on city plans.

Best,
Will