Labeling Only Specifically Selected Nodes

Screenshots, Vectorial Preview and printable exports
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DanielMango64
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Labeling Only Specifically Selected Nodes

Post by DanielMango64 » 10 Oct 2016 19:08

Say I have a network map. The graph is neat, the unimportant nodes have been filtered out, more important nodes are larger than less important ones (say importance is based of degree or page rank or another metric), maybe I've even colored the nodes by modularity/cluster or importance or some other metric.

It would obviously be very useful to have labels on this graph. But I don't want 100 labels on my screen--that would just be a mess.
I just want to label 5 or 6 nodes for reference.

Is there any way that I can specifically turn labels on for only the nodes I want?
(I am NOT talknig about only turning on labels for selected nodes--I know how to do that. I'm saying: if I have a map how do I permanently label specific nodes?)

DanielMango64
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Labeling Only Specifically Selected Nodes

Post by DanielMango64 » 19 Oct 2016 20:27

Bump

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 20 Oct 2016 08:51

Hi,
Not sure I understand, but the simple solution is going to data laboratory after having filtered the graph so you only see nodes that you don't want to have a label, selecting all the nodes, right click and clear the label column (make a copy of the column before so you don't lose data).

DanielMango64

Post by DanielMango64 » 20 Oct 2016 17:26

That works if I want NO labels--I want just a few labels, for only the most important nodes.
While I can go back into the data and remove all labels but the ones I want to keep I was wondering if Gephi could do this automatically for me. It already can make nodes extra big or extra colorful or even have the labels get bigger based off the importance* of a node, can it make labels appear or disappear based off that?

*Importance= some metric

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 20 Oct 2016 21:37

Keep in mind that if you filter and go to data laboratory, you will only see the filtered nodes in the table (check configuration dialog), so you could selectively remove label data from nodes based on a filter.

jamjar23

Post by jamjar23 » 04 Feb 2018 02:18

@eduramiba "the simple solution is going to data laboratory after having filtered the graph so you only see nodes that you don't want to have a label, selecting all the nodes, right click and clear the label column"

When I try this, I don't have any response to right-clicking on either any of the selected area/rows or the Label column header. Where are you suggesting the right click should occur?

I can click Clear Column, and select Label, but it ignores the filter and deletes all Label values (when the filter is removed, no labels exist).

**EDIT/UPDATE**
Not sure what I was doing, I see the right click, and selecting Clear All gives me the option to just clear Labels. When I do this, it applies to only the selected (filtered) nodes. Thanks!