make the location of vertices fixed when adding new edges

Screenshots, Vectorial Preview and printable exports
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
oatabati
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
make the location of vertices fixed when adding new edges

Post by oatabati » 10 Feb 2014 23:05

Hi,

my question, briefly, is that how could I make the position of vertices 'fixed' in an initial graph in gephi, so when I append and open another subset of edges to the existing graph, the position and location of nodes wont change? is it possible to do in gephi at all? I have two csv file for them.

Just to draw the details: I want to visualize a graph in gephi which consists of two subgraphs. a 20*20 grid graph that I have its edge list as a csv file. and another subgraph that is a set of edges between the 400 nodes in the first grid. I want to have a visualization exactly in form of grid. So, at first I open the grid graph in gephi and layout it, so i have a graceful grid, but when I add another subgraph (a csv file) and I choose it to append on existing grid graph (not a new graph), unfortunately the added edges changes the location of vertices in the grid. So it is not an accurate grid with more number of edge anymore.

P.S in the grid, all vertices are labeled from 0 to 399, so I want to have a grid where in the bottom it has 0 to 19 nodes and it creates a 20*20 grid by the location of these 400 nodes.

Thanks a lot in advance.

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Re: make the location of vertices fixed when adding new edge

Post by seinecle » 12 Feb 2014 11:23

Hi,
If I understand your question, the gexf file format allows you to set the position of nodes (vertices), so that they would always appear at the same place each time you open your file.
So:
- open your network in csv format
- export to gexf format (File -> Export -> Graph file -> select gexf in the dropdown menu).
- close your project, now open your gexf file: it will show your graph where you left it before.

Best,

Clement

oatabati
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: make the location of vertices fixed when adding new edge

Post by oatabati » 15 Feb 2014 03:34

Thanks a lot !
I will try to do this with gexf format which i am hearing it now for the first time.

seinecle wrote:Hi,
If I understand your question, the gexf file format allows you to set the position of nodes (vertices), so that they would always appear at the same place each time you open your file.
So:
- open your network in csv format
- export to gexf format (File -> Export -> Graph file -> select gexf in the dropdown menu).
- close your project, now open your gexf file: it will show your graph where you left it before.

Best,

Clement